What's new

Speaker recommendations Please (1 Viewer)

joe_di

Auditioning
Hi, I just got an Harman kardon AVR 7200, and i blew my existing speakers today so I need new ones. ANy recommendations for speakers. My budget is 500 bux and open to new or used items. Thanks

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't mean to be unkind, but this post made me laugh out loud. It's like saying "I won a million dollars and tomorrow I'm declaring bankruptcy!"

On a more serious note, I would go for the JBL Studio Series. Getting harder to find, but not impossible. Try Onecall or bestpriceaudiovideo.com.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Speaker selection is very subjective. What one person likes, you may not. I suggest taking a selection of your favorite CD's and DVD's and go out and listen to as many speakers as you can. Speaker's character varies a bit between brands. Only you know what sound good to you. Good luck.

James

You blew ALL your speakers???? If you only blew one just find a used set of your existing speaker. Do you know the tell tail signs before the speakers blow? Were your ears melting before they blew?

Kevin

Eric_Bender

Agent
Search online at Ebay. You can pick up some decent speakers at discount prices. My preference is for Boston Acoustics, but Paradigm, Axioms, Definitive Technology, B&W and others are also very good for inexpensive upgrades.

joe_di

Auditioning
Sorry I guess my post was a bit vague. I'm looking for something along the lines of the klipsch reference or a similar sound, something lively with a very slight bit of brightness. I'm just looking for front left and right main speakers for the moment. I'd like it to be able to handle whatever the avr7200 can throw at it and be able to play down to 80hz at least.

joe_di

Auditioning

I blew one and tore the surround slightly on the second one. On the blown one, the surround is completely shredded to pieces. Well there was no tell tail signs before the speakers blew, it just made a distorting nasty sound for 2 seconds and it blew. No my ears weren't melting. It was actually craving for more volume.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm surprised this hasn't come up, but what brand were the ones that blew?

joe_di

Auditioning
pair of old school cerwin vega at 12. The 12 inch woofer blew but the midrange and tweets are still fine. The manufacturer lists the wrms power handling as 125 wrms or higher I believe.

Gary_Morris

Auditioning
If you were happy with the speakers and the only thing wrong is that the foam surrounding the woofer cones gave out, you can have them refoamed at a speaker shop for a modest amount. You can also buy a foam kit and try it yourself. A lot of older speakers used foam but it will dry out and crack over time. They'll be good as new if you refoam them.

joe_di

Auditioning
The woofer blew as well, not just the foam giving out. There's no output from the speaker which had the foam torn to shreds. Or is this a normal occurence and replacing the foam would make the speaker work fine again?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks