What's new

Speaker problems (1 Viewer)

Rob*Gallo

Agent
Was using S&V HTT and an SPL last night to do my calibration. I noticed that the test tone for my right surround speaker had a fair amount of static while the others were clear. When I changed the volume level on the receiver the static seemed to coincide with each press of the volume button.

Does this mean I have a short in my speaker wire? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Try switching the left and right speakers and see if the static follows the speaker or stays on the same side. It could be possible that the speaker is defective, and this test should test that.

If the static stays on the same side then try the same thing with you cables etc. until you find the problem(hopefully).

Rob*Gallo

Agent
Thanks, Lee.

For the sake of assumption, let's say the problem is not the speaker, but the cables. I am using Sound King 12 gauge from Parts Express. Could this mean that I cut one of the small wires while I was stripping the insulation or attaching the banana plugs?

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Could this mean that I cut one of the small wires while I was stripping the insulation or attaching the banana plugs?
Anything is possible. But i doubt cutting a couple of strands would make it hiss. If you can try another cable that you know is good. That way we do not have to make an ass of u and me

Since this is the surround, did you run the wire through the wall at all? If so there are a lot of possible problems. I remember when my dad mounted his satellites. He put the screw for the bracket right through the cable. We only figured it out when we tried to pull the wire back out and it would not budge.

Rob*Gallo

Agent
I'll do some checking and let you know what I find. Unfortunately, I won't be able to mess with it until Friday. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks