What's new

Speaker Frequency's for 6.1 system (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
What would be the ideal Speaker low Frequency range for a 6.1 HT system.
(speakers that sound good, RElativly high sensetivity rating 90dB or better, and Power rated 100W or better, @ 8ohm or 6 Ohm, thats not peak power either)

Would it be a good Idea for all 6 speakers to be rated to 80Hz on then have a powered sub rated for 30Hz (or less) to 180 Hz, and Set the Crossover to 100Hz ( so I'm not at the limit of the speakers).

Or is it a better idea to have some speakers minimum Frequency be a little higher?

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I think the general consensus is to run either sattelites or full range speakers...set them to small in the processor/receiver and set subwoofer on. The THX crossover suggestion is 80HZ as the split point between your speaker array and the sub.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Hmm not the answer I was looking for :D
anyone else?
I'm looking for what each channel should be rated for Frequency wise. Should the Center front be 100Hz and Higher or should it be able to handle a lower frequency, should the Center rear be the same.
If a speaker is rated for 80Hz on the low side should I set MY crossover at 80 Hz or 100Hz.
And concerning the Large and small speakers thing. When listening to a Digital HT source 5.1 or 6.1 or whatever, and say the Front Mains are only rated to 80 Hz (Or worse, higher), as it is in small satalite systems, wouldn't you want to set all the speakers to small. Heck, I would say that unless you have big floor standing speakers with fair size subwoofers you might want to set all speakers to small not matter what.

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
80hz is fine for center and surrounds. you want them set to small. You want to try and get as close a match as possible with your front center 3 speakers. this is what is called timbre matching. You want them to be as close as level to each other as well, within 2ft

If a speaker is rated for 80Hz on the low side should I set MY crossover at 80 Hz or 100Hz.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Power handling of the speaker is almost irrelevant, so don't worry about that in your consideration (unless they only handle 10wpc continuous).

30Hz is not good enough for a sub. That is a MINIMUM low extension, IMO.

First, you have to understand that a crossover is not an absolute. There will still be some sound trailing off over at least one octave below (or above, depending) the x-over point.

That means, that with a 100Hz x-over, all of your speakers should be capable of at least 50Hz. The receiver's x-over will have a slope, but the speaker also has a natural roll off as well. Therefore, a speaker that is only good to 100Hz will likely give you a gap or dip, possibly starting at the midpoint of the x-over (one half octave). The sub will be blending in also, but usually the slope is steeper for a sub, so as not to enter too much into the midrange.

All of my speakers are good to around 50Hz-60Hz, and I set them all to small with a 100Hz x-over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks