What's new

Do I have My Crossover Settings Right On My Receiver? (1 Viewer)

robert88

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I have a 6.1 satellite home theatre system. The center speaker has 4 3-5/8" woofers with a 7/8" tweeter. The fronts and surrounds have 2 3-5/8" woofers with a 7/8" tweeter. All speakers have a response of 80Hz-20kHz. I am using a 12" sub that has a response of 30 Hz to 180 Hz. On the subwoofer i have the LFE switch turned to on allowing my receiver to be in full control of the crossover frequency on my speakers and the upper bass output on my subwoofer. I have the crossover knob on the back of the sub turned all the way up to 180 Hz. My speakers are set to small on my receiver. I have the crossover frequency set at 80 Hz for all my speakers and the subwoofer LFE high cut is set at 100 Hz.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
80 might be a bit low for spekers with smaller drivers. I'd set the crossover to at least 100. 120 might be even better. I like to set the crossover a little higher than what the listed frequency response is just to be on the safe side. These speaker ratings are usually a bit optomistic. Best thing to do is try different settings and see which sounds best to you. But I think the high-pass should be set at 120 regardless of what the crossover is set at.

robert88

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by gene c

80 might be a bit low for spekers with smaller drivers. I'd set the crossover to at least 100. 120 might be even better. I like to set the crossover a little higher than what the listed frequency response is just to be on the safe side. These speaker ratings are usually a bit optomistic. Best thing to do is try different settings and see which sounds best to you. But I think the high-pass should be set at 120 regardless of what the crossover is set at.

I am going to raise the speakers to 100hz and try it out. Should i keep the cut off frequency of the LFE channel set at 100Hz?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't know much about the high-pass filter (or cut-off as you describe it) but I would set it to 120. I bet none of these settings are completely accurate so I like to have a little over-lap just to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks