What's new

Speaker Distance Settings (1 Viewer)

TravisKH

Auditioning
Does adjusting the speaker distance on the reciever make much of a differance the more accurate it is?

What exactly does it do to the sound as you adjust it?

For an accurate setting should I measure from each speaker to the optimal seating position?

Thanks

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
It will either delay the sounds or advance them. Either causing a larger soundstage or a small soundstage.

What I have read is that the distance between the two fronts should be the distance from tv to seating area or otherwise measure from your seating area to your speakers in the front and the same with the rear.

Jason

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ideally, you want to get it as close as you can.

heck travis, i'll make you a bet.

i'll come over, and adjust the settings for you. i'll make rather large (and possibly inaccurate) settings.

then i'll ask you to tell me if you hear a difference. ;)

what i'm getting at is you have to have some unbelievably amazing hearing to tell these kinds of differences.

so, set it, then forget it.

:)

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'll take that bet there Ted Lee.

I just recently moved my speakers from cieling level to ear level, it sounded really off without re-running the setup and calibrations. Like it was even bothering me profusely.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you're not being fair so no deal! :)

i *do* agree that moving speakers from ceiling to ear level would make a drastic improvement.

i've always said that one of my best tweaks ever was simply buying some speaker stands.

now...once your used to your speaker's new position, and then want me to come over and adjust *only* the distances and delay, then i'll take you on. :D

John S

Senior HTF Member
LOL.. I have a pretty critical ear.. Would be a fun test. We could grade each other... lol

I have done a ton of stereo mastering in recording studios over the years, I do understand delay. I even did some Dolby 2.0 mastering, but only a few projects.

I had actually left them not changed, thinking it would not make that much difference, but man after just a little way into a movie, I had to fix it, my significant other thought it was just fine, so your right. But she did admit the imrpovement once I was done with re-calibration.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member

ack! :D

ted realizes john knows what the hell he's talking about and runs away ....

John S

Senior HTF Member
Still would be a fun test... I don't know if I trust many (if any) of the people I know to even change such settings on my receiver.... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks