What's new

speaker distance problems and surround issues (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
my rig and i'm a complete newbie:
Kardon 325
pioneer 463A DvD
JBL N24 - surround
JBL N26 - back
JBL N38II - front

Ok, my room is set up very BAD and there is nothing i can do (girlfriend is the boss).

In my sitting position my SURROUND RIGHT is 3 feet away. My SURROUND LEFT is 7 feet away.
This makes for BAD surround and i can hardly hear the surround at all.

On my receiver i have to choose how far away my speakers are....so what should i pick since they are not the same distance? I think i have it set to 5 feet right now. Also i need to choose how far away the speakers are with my DvD player....how many feet should i say?

Should i turn up my SURROUND LEFT a few DB's so i can hear it? I can barely hear any surround from it at the moment. I can't hear very much coming from my SURROUND RIGHT either though...even though its so close.
Should i mabye also turn the right up if i have to do the left?

All 7 speakers are set to 75DB with the new video essentials.

Sorry if this confusing, i really need some help and suggestions/tips.

Thanks all in advance.

KostaVan

Grip
She's not your wife dude...do whatever the hell you want

If you are on a leash or pusswhipped, you should sit in the listening position and do the pink tone test and increase db so they sound the same.

JackLonn

Agent
Wow. That's not a very sensitive response. The correct response is DX her. One can't live ones life for someone else. They either toe the line, or hit the road; unless of course they're paying the bills.

On a serious side, try to get her involved and hear that it makes a difference.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If you have all of your speakers calibrated to 75dB via VE, how is it that you cannot hear the surrounds? All of the speakers should be set at their correct levels if this is the case, or the caliration was done incorrectly. Some receivers allow you to adjust the balance between the surround speakers. This is good for situations where one surround speaker is next to a wall and the other surround speaker is not, thereby causing one speaker to play slightly louder than the other. You could adjust this balance after you are sure the speakers are all calibrated to the correct levels to begin with.

The ideal situation though would be to have the speakers arranged symetrically as Jack and Kosta are suggesting.

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
rofl, well she let me buy my 2003 convertible porshe Carrera as long as she has some say in what the new house looks like.
I had to settle to for weird speaker placement.

Yes the speakers are set to 75DB....i guess its because the angle the speakers are on. They are not directly on each side of me.
They are pointing at my head, but the LEFT one is behind my sitting position about a foot and a half and angles toward my head.

So many problems down there!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks