What's new

speaker cable (1 Viewer)

denis d

Auditioning
I want to change my speaker cable,what is the best cable vs money I can buy.I need 2 (20 ft cable) does the wire gauge is still important or there is new wire that can give me the same performance with smaller gauge. thank you !

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
IMO, Kimber cable is the best.
------------------
I love to chat about dvd & HT , feel free to yahoo me.YAHOO messenger: billsfan71
" Master Yoda said I should be mindfull of the future." Obi-Won Kenobie

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the wire gauge is important. Over a long wire, it will reduce the higher frequencies more than the lower ones. This will produce a "slant" in the sound. It will still sound good, but some people claim to be able to hear the reduction in a 15 foot speaker wire.
Several speaker sites recommend the following gauge based on length of run:
0-10 feet: 16 ga
10 - 20 feet: 14 ga
20 - longer : 12 ga
But most of us just buy a spool of 12 ga and use it for all of our speakers.
Good Luck.

JoshS

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Denis,
I will second Eric's recommendation. I have 3 15 foot runs of Kimber 4vs to my front three channels. The 4vs goes for about $3.00/foot in bulk. You can get the 4pr for about $1.50/foot in bulk. By bulk I mean that these cables are not teminated, you have to strip them yourself and put on connectors if you wish, this will require some patience though. Kimber is a braided style of cable, looks very nice and I have noticed a favorable difference from the Monster 1.4 biwire I used to use. IN MY OPINION, cables CAN make a diffence in a system. Now I will not spent outragious amounts on cable, I wouldn't goe as cheap as possible. This is just MY opinion and do not want to get into cable debate. A friend of mine is a huge audio nut and just bought a 10' pair of MIT 750 magnum biwire speaker cables. They retail for @ $2400.00, he got a demo pair for $1200. I don't think this is a good value. At some point the law of dimishing returns sets in. Sorry for getting of topic, but I just had to tell you guys about this.
Good luck,
Josh

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
(copied from another post)
IMHO there is no advantage in spending more money for the same gauge wire, except if the more expensive wire is prettier looking or has banana plugs or other tips that fit on the amp terminals better, already attached.
More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks