What's new

Speaker Buying Help (1 Viewer)

NathanL

Agent
I'm looking to get some speakers for a modest home theater in my room. I currently have the Pioneer D811S 6.1 A/V Receiver (This) . I am looking to get atleast a 5.1 setup going and my budget for speakers is around 500$.
Can you guys recommend any specific models or brands I should look at. I was originally going to go with Bose AM6III but I read a lot online about Bose being more marketing and name than quality speakers...
Anyways if you could recommend some good all around speakers it would help me ALOT! Also what can you comment on this
Thanks for your help!

NathanL

Agent
Oh yeah, maybe I should say this also, these speakers will be going in a fairly small room...about 12 foot by 12 foot.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
5 Paridigm Titans (use 1 at center) and the DLS 10 in powered sub for $99 you will be under 5 bucks and you will be crazy with joy. Parts Express has the sub, If you read anything on this forum you have heard about this sub, and Titans are critically acclaimed world wide, in a 12x12 room you will do no better for 5x the price.

NathanL

Agent
Can you guys recommend any websites to buy from?
Also, I'm new to this site so if im missing some common information page or something just say so, just found this site a day ago :)

Alan M

Second Unit
if you do decide on the fluance speakers,I recommend the sx-htb system,better crossover and better speakers then the av-htb.
I own the sx system and cant speak highly enough about them.

EricM

Auditioning
I wanted a modest setup as well. I went with the JBL NSP-1 set and a Sony SA-WM40 sub. I think its a fairly popular modest combo. I have it in a 18 X 13 room and I am very happy with the performance.
You can probably get the NSP-1 for about $300 shipped and the Sony for about $170 shipped, within your budget. I ordered JBL speakers from http://www.onecall.com (they are JBL authorized which was important to me) and I got the Sony from Link Removed . You can also try http://bestpriceaudiovideo.com for the NSP-1 (as it appears that onecall doesnt sell that speaker package), they too are authorized by JBL.

Bob Drugan

Agent
I have the Aperion Audio 6.1 speaker system with the 12" 250 watt sub and couldn't be happier. The great thing about these speakers is they sound so natural and the bass is awesome. The speakers are very easy to listen to and for the $ I couldn't find anything that compared. Aperion has a 30 day return policy but after hearing these in my home they not going back. Check them out at www.aperionaudio.com. Bob

NathanL

Agent
I went to Team Electronics today and listened to the Paradigm Atoms and was pretty impressed with them, although only thing I could watch was Toy Story :frowning: Might go ask to hear something else like bring in the matrix or another action movie.
Anyways, they told me that the 4 atoms, CC-70 center, and a PDR-8 sub would be around 700$ : I don't remember each price but I think the sub was kinda expensive so I could find a different one online but for the speakers...
You guys know where I can find them cheap online or I hear some of you go to Canada to buy speakers...I live close to the Canadian boarder. Would going to a store in Winnepeg save me alot of money if I can't order them online for cheaper?
Oh final question is what is better, Atoms or Titans

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Nathan if you are going up to $700. Check out Ascend Acoustics. A HTM200 setup for 5 speakers would run around $650 or the CBM 170 for 5 speakers is around $800. Add the DLS 10 sub $99 from www.partsexpress.com.
I just replaced my Paradigm Mini-Monitors with the 170's and the 170's just blow away both my Paradigms. I also, have Atoms which will remain as my surrounds for a while since they are already wall mounted and the white has a very high WAF.
I don't have an experience with the HTM200 to tell you how it compares but at just $25 less per speaker I'd expect good things from them. I expect they'll easily best the Atoms.
Also look at Aperionaudio.com another internet direct only, is worth a good look at. They've received some good reviews, too. If you don't like them you don't even pay shipping. And most evil of all they offer financing.
Paradigm isn't availible over the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks