What's new

Speaker and Sub Tweaks for mud (1 Viewer)

Jim Ritter

Auditioning
I just set up my first home theater. I went with an Onkyo TX-SR600, JVC XV-FA90 DVD Player, Polk RTi28s, FXi30s, and the CSi130. I have an Infinity BU2 as well.

I have two questions for the hookup gurus:

What is the best way to hook up the sub? I'm reading that it is preferrable to run speaker wire from the receiver to the sub, then to the mains. I have it that way now. Which brings me to question two.

I am finding the overall sound slightly muddy. I'm loving life because I've never had digital surround sound before, but at the same time I'd be happier with slightly clearer sound. Is this a Polk thing? Or is it my room, or is it the sub? How about tweaking or settings?

I'm new to all this so I'd appreciate and pointers or suggested readings. I read the HT Primer that was immensely helpful!

Thanks
Jim

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
I'm kinda of a noob to terms.

What does "muddy" sound like to a layman?

I've heard the term before, but I'm like you, I'm new to the audiophile side of things and trying to describe audio problems.

Jim Ritter

Auditioning
Well, maybe I mean bassy. My system thumps, but is less clear on the highs and mids than I would like.

There are several settings that just confuse me though, so it could be any one of these. For instance, how do I know where to adjust the decibals for each speaker? The Onkyo gives me the option of 0-12dbls. In addition, I have the option of setting each speaker's distance from the listening position. I understand the difference between volume and delay (feet away) in theory but I'm having a hard time with it in practice.

Or more possibly, I should go out and buy the cable to hook the subwoofer to the receiver without going through the front mains channel, and then I could set the mains to "small" instead of "large."

I guess a lot of this will come with time and listening.

Jim

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I don't have a clear picture of this. The sub I take it is the Infinity and that has an RCA jack where a sub cable (any shielded coax terminated in RCA connectors) goes from your receiver and then goes to to the jack on the sub. The connections to your various speakers can be made with something like 12 gauge.

I'd urge you to get a calibration disk and an SPL meter over at Radio Shack. That will facilitate balancing your system. In addition you may wish to examine your speaker placement. Consider the articles written by Floyd Toole in this link. Various issues of speakers and rooms are discussed. Last I checked all the various links were correct and you may wish to print the pdf's out as I think it makes for good reference.

Sub placement generally (not always) works best with the unit in the corner. However we can certainly look at that in greater detail once you correct what I believe is a miswiring of your sub and balance out your system with respect to your sitting position. I take it your receiver allows the speakers to be set to large or small. Set it to small.

Please post back with comments, questions, and how it's going.

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
The Onkyo gives me the option of 0-12dbls
That should be your speaker trim levels. You would use a calibrated signal like Avia or the internal test tones and a SPL meter to match all speaker volumne levels.

To set delays: You are measuring with tape measure from each speaker to your sweet spot/seat and entering them into receiver's menu from the way you describe your receiver.

Yep, get a cable, set your speakers to "Small" and set amp's crossover to 80Hz. That will probably be the most noticeable change right there. You may have too much bass right now overpowering the rest.

The best way to setup sub level by ear is: You shouldn't hear the sub working until it's turned off then you notice the missing info. The sub shouldn't attract attention to itself when properly working. That's the easiest way to describe it.

Hope this helps you,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks