What's new

Space Ghost and Dino Boy (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi all,

I decided to watch Space Ghost again and after all these years the show still hold up very good! HB did some right with Space Ghost!

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I remember the theme from the show, but I'm not quite sureIf was reruns of the original show, or the 1981 space stars versionthat I watched as a kid. I delivered newspapers Saturday morning,Usually from about 9-10am. Looking at the tv schedule, I have memories of Spider-Man and his Amazing friends, and Thundarrthe Barbarian, so maybe I watched some Space Ghost from the Space Stars program.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
This was Hanna-Barbara at its finest. They simply don't make these kinds of shows anymore. :(

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Regulus said:
This was Hanna-Barbara at its finest. They simply don't make these kinds of shows anymore. :(
I totally agree with you! HB was not given enough credit for their sci-fi cartoons like the Herculoids, Dino Boy, Birdman and the Galaxy Trio, Jonny Quest, etc. I also love my sets that included star trek the animated show or Return to the Planet of the Apes or Valley of the Dinosaurs, etc. Some these shows could be shown today as they are sci-fi!!

I also thought I heard somewhere that USA used to have a network that show the old classic sci-fi cartoons.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
younger1968 said:
HB was not given enough credit for their sci-fi cartoons like the Herculoids, Dino Boy, Birdman and the Galaxy Trio, Jonny Quest, etc.
Mostly the products of Alex Toth, truly an amazing and creative mind.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Regulus said:
derosa said:
Mostly the products of Alex Toth, truly an amazing and creative mind.
Absolutely on both! Great products from a great creator! I was thrilled when both Space Ghose and Jonny Quest became available on DVD! Some of the best TV ever. I've never understood why neither (as well as other Toth creations) got longer runs.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
BobO'Link said:
Absolutely on both! Great products from a great creator! I was thrilled when both Space Ghost and Jonny Quest became available on DVD! Some of the best TV ever. I've never understood why neither (as well as other Toth creations) got longer runs.
You can thank "Do-Gooder" groups such as Action for Children's Television for this. :angry: They persuaded the FCC that these cartoons were either "Too Violent", "No Education Value" and "Overlong Commercials for a Toy". Consequently they were taken off the air. Only recently have many of these shows become available on DVD. If you have School-Age Children or Grandchildren I STRONGLY recommend you get these DVD Sets for them as Christmas Presents, and show them what a REAL Cartoon looks like! :biggrin:

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
younger1968 said:
I totally agree with you! HB was not given enough credit for their sci-fi cartoons like the Herculoids, Dino Boy, Birdman and the Galaxy Trio, Jonny Quest, etc. I also love my sets that included star trek the animated show or Return to the Planet of the Apes or Valley of the Dinosaurs, etc. Some these shows could be shown today as they are sci-fi!!

I also thought I heard somewhere that USA used to have a network that show the old classic sci-fi cartoons.
I also agree. I love those cartoons and probably everything from that era. Not sure what was available back then for girls. All these cartoons were superheros, robots, dinosaurs, aliens, etc.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Regulus said:
You can thank "Do-Gooder" groups such as Action for Children's Television for this. :angry: They persuaded the FCC that these cartoons were either "Too Violent", "No Education Value" and "Overlong Commercials for a Toy". Consequently they were taken off the air. Only recently have many of these shows become available on DVD. If you have School-Age Children or Grandchildren I STRONGLY recommend you get these DVD Sets for them as Christmas Presents, and show them what a REAL Cartoon looks like! :biggrin:
We went into this discussion in my children's lit class I'm taking at college. I had to sit through a YouTube video explaining how sexist and racist Disney is. Other students and myself were sitting there shaking our heads at the ignorance of the video. I countered that there was too much censorship already and brought up Song of the South and other cartoons/movies that had been censored for political correctness issues.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Regulus said:
I have shared my sets with my neighbors and they love space ghost!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Heck, every TV show is an advertisement for something! The Clampetts advertised Corn Flakes and cigarettes. I knew when I watched G.I. Joe as a kid or any other cartoon that it was an advertisement for a toy! And cartoons do have educational value.....Popeye taught me that I didn't like spinach!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
younger1968 said:
In the early 1980sThe USA Network had a segment called "Calliope" that featured animation, mostly from independent filmmakers. In the mid 1990s the Sci-Fy Channel would show Filmation and Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" Children's shows in the morning. I believe in both cases these shows were replaced by "infomercials". :(

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Ron1973 said:
Heck, every TV show is an advertisement for something! The Clampetts advertised Corn Flakes and cigarettes. I knew when I watched G.I. Joe as a kid or any other cartoon that it was an advertisement for a toy! And cartoons do have educational value.....Popeye taught me that I didn't like spinach!
If I could afford a lawyer I'd file suit against whoever holds the "Rights" to Popeye for False Advertising. They show this wuss of a Sailor who, after eating a can of Spinach turns into a @$$Kicker! I eat Spinach and NOTHING happens to me! :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Regulus said:
Yeah... the same people who caused the butchering of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts as well as removal of The Three Stooges from all but truly forward looking and "smart" local TV stations. However, those groups came to the forefront *after* Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, and other Toth creations. While ACT *did* cause Jonny Quest to be edited for airings after ~1972, ABC cancelled the show originally in spite of positive critical reviews and fairly good ratings. I've never found anything explaining just why it was cancelled after only one season. While I've not read anything specific I believe Space Ghost was a victim of either poor programming (it ran opposite The Beatles and The Space Kidettes) and/or ratings.

At my house the grandkids *regularly* watch Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, Birdman, The Three Stooges, The Little Rascals, Looney Tunes, and other "bad" shorts/cartoons/films.

I'd love to see groups like "Action for Children's Television" and other overly PC "watchdog" groups take a flying leap... Because of them we have the crass "insult" and "I'm the only one who matters" cartoons that pervade children's programming today. There's no way you can convince me the current crop is better for kids than those I grew up watching!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Regulus said:
In the early 1980sThe USA Network had a segment called "Calliope" that featured animation, mostly from independent filmmakers. In the mid 1990s the Sci-Fy Channel would show Filmation and Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" Children's shows in the morning. I believe in both cases these shows were replaced by "infomercials". :(
My daughter grew up watching Calliope and Pinwheel (on Nickelodeon). Both were great programs for younger kids! It's a shame they are not still being aired.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
BobO'Link said:
I'd love to see groups like "Action for Children's Television" and other overly PC "watchdog" groups take a flying leap...
Into the depths of Gehenna! :laugh:

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Regulus said:
Into the depths of Gehenna! :laugh:
Reminds me of Curly Joe on Snow White and The Three Stooges. He had the magic sword and his hand on it and said "I wish that old queen would go to blazes!"

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It is sad that people read to much into the Herculoids, Birdman and the Galaxy Trio, Jonny Quest, Space Ghost and Dino Boy. The episodes were ahead of their time. I am glad for dvds as I have them all on them i my collection. I rather watch the aforementioned shows then many of the shows on the dial today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks