NEW 2020 1080p masters!
SPACE GHOST & DINO BOY: THE COMPLETE SERIES
Run Time 420:00
Subtitles English
Audio Specs MONO - English
Aspect Ratio 1.33:1, 4 X 3 FULL FRAME
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50 (2)
Special Feature: Documentary "Alex Toth: The Artist's Artist: The Journey of a Master Cartoonist" (SD)

Showcasing the episodes in the three-segment form as they originally aired, these stellar retro hits soar through space and time to deliver justice! First, intergalactic policeman Space Ghost navigates the cosmos in his tricked-out spaceship The Phantom Cruiser, battling villains like Brak and Zorak with his legendary suit and powerful wristbands. Then, Dino Boy teams with caveman Ugh and dinosaur Bronty to go primeval on the ancient menaces of their primitive home. And finally, Space Ghost flies again with more extraterrestrial adventures and thrilling takedowns. This dynamite compilation also features the dynamic six-part Space Ghost episode The Council of Doom. It’s cosmic entertainment for all!

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
They probably WILL:
Cartoon fans who still hold a grudge at Warner over Cartoon Network's hipster "school-bully" campaign to propaganda-demonize vintage Hanna-Barbera reruns in the early 00's--so that fans "wouldn't miss" them when they bounced all the vintage content off the channel for more lame original series--are savoring the sweet, sweet payback of new brandname-hungry Warner now realizing that they're selling a LOT of 60's-70's H-B on the Archive.
(If whole "H-B Universe" subplots in Warner's "Scoob" about Blue Falcon, the Teen Angels and Dick Dastardly are any indication.)

This set is for every episode of "Space Ghost: Coast to Coast" that's not currently airing on CN. :emoji_smiling_imp:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Mixed feelings here.

(1) I am glad to see a new Hanna-Barbera release from Warner Archive, yet

(2) It's frustrating to me that now all they seem to want to do is put out Blu-Rays of shows they already released on DVD, while many other shows haven't been released at all, but at the same time

(3) It appears that these Warner Archive Blu-Ray sets are being expertly done, and "getting them right" is a much higher priority than it seems to have been when the DVD sets were done. I so far haven't "double dipped" on anything but after reading the reviews, I definitely want "The Jetsons" at least, so I say

(4) Bring it on!

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
Far be it for me to be a negative nellie, but I want the Banana Splits. And if it doesn't come out, I'm going to go to my room and cry.

Wawwwwww!

---james
Going by one of the more recent podcasts from the Archive, Banana Splits apparently needs A LOT of work before it is remotely ready for Blu-ray release.

Reactions: jayME61
Real Name
Mike
Awesome! I got the DVD back in 2006 or 2007. I definitely got 13 + years of enjoyment from that purchase, so absolutely time for an upgrade. I hope they were able to locate the original interstitials shown between commercials back in the day, they were very cool. But either way, I’m definitely picking this up!

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I remember Space Ghost, but who is Dino Boy?
A "Dino Boy" or more accurately "DIno Boy in the Lost Valley" episode aired between the two "Space Ghost" episodes:
1599913018274.png

From Wikipedia:
Dino Boy is a young boy called Todd who parachuted out of a crashing plane with his parents still on board.

He lands in an unknown South American valley where dinosaurs, cavemen, and prehistoric mammals somehow have survived alongside some strange creatures and various tribes like the Moss Men, the Rock Pygmies, the Worm People and the Vampire Men, amongst others.

Dino Boy then meets the caveman Ugh (who saves Dino Boy from a Smilodon when he first arrives) and his pet baby Brontosaurus Bronty who become his friends in the episodes to come. The cartoon also features a woolly mammoth named Tusko who Ugh would enlist in certain episodes to help him, Dino Boy, and Bronty out.
The stories are "OK" but I usually kind of tuned them out - it was "Space Ghost" I was interested in watching. Rewatching the DVDs I found they're still mostly "OK" and that I still much preferred the "Space Ghost" stories.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mixed feelings here.

(1) I am glad to see a new Hanna-Barbera release from Warner Archive, yet

(2) It's frustrating to me that now all they seem to want to do is put out Blu-Rays of shows they already released on DVD, while many other shows haven't been released at all, but at the same time

(3) It appears that these Warner Archive Blu-Ray sets are being expertly done, and "getting them right" is a much higher priority than it seems to have been when the DVD sets were done. I so far haven't "double dipped" on anything but after reading the reviews, I definitely want "The Jetsons" at least, so I say

(4) Bring it on!
What!?! No Jonny Quest BR on your want list?!? Heresy!!!

Actually both are excellent and I'm thrilled to have them in my collection. Warner Archives did such a good job on them for the BR releases that I'll purchase just about any HB animation they see fit to release on that format.

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Going by one of the more recent podcasts from the Archive, Banana Splits apparently needs A LOT of work before it is remotely ready for Blu-ray release.
But what about
the Adventures of Gulliver
The Harlem Globetrotters
The Chattanooga Cats
Wait Till Your Father Comes Home (season 2)
Those Were The Days
Wildfire
Goldie Gold and Action Jack
Fangface

Surely, a few of those programs aren't in as bad as shape as the Banana Splits?

--jthree

Reactions: Gary OS

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
But what about
The Harlem Globetrotters
The Chattanooga Cats
Those Were The Days
Wildfire
Fangface

--jthree
I don’t know if Feltenstein has addressed a majority of those shows, but in the same podcast he addressed Banana Splits, he mentioned that Fangface also needs a lot of work as the masters are in poor condition (though I doubt it needs the same amount of work as Banana Splits, which apparently had its masters completely messed up and recut in syndication and requires a complete reconstruction of the original episodes).

Reactions: ClassicTVMan1981X

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I don’t know if Feltenstein has addressed a majority of those shows, but in the same podcast he addressed Banana Splits, he mentioned that Fangface also needs a lot of work as the masters are in poor condition (though I doubt it needs the same amount of work as Banana Splits, which apparently had its masters completely messed up and recut in syndication and requires a complete reconstruction of the original episodes).
I'd like to hear this podcast. I'm glad they are taking this stuff seriously and thinking about what it would take to get it done.

In this HD-focused climate, for any of these shows they obviously have to go back and do new scans from film as opposed to using "off the shelf" tapes so if they are starting from the ground up, that bodes well for the Banana Splits getting done in the format of the one-hour shows as opposed to the half-hour versions. But having to piece the segments back together is clearly a MAJOR stumbling block, i.e. if they couldn't get the right music cues on the right Porky Pig cartoons, and those films were otherwise all in one piece...I'm not gonna hold my breath on this one.

I also suspect music rights might be another complication here. The reason I say that is, they released the edited half-hours in England, but not the U.S. Aren't the royalty issues different?

I wonder if music rights are why we haven't seen the 1972 Flintstone Comedy Hour, even for streaming.

How about "The New Fred And Barney Show?" That's another one I definitely want.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
The podcast can be accessed at the link below:

For reference, the September 1st podcast “Your Lovely Letters” is the one where Feltenstein addresses Fangface and The Banana Splits.

Reactions: Mark Y

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
In addition to the Splits' condition, one of the issues that got Warner OUT of the retail business for H-B sets (apart from dreaming bigger sales for the TV-boxset craze then they got for Yogi Bear and The Smurfs) was the question of whether or not The New Adventures of Huck Finn was still its own series to release, since the reruns had been absorbed into the half-hour syndicated Banana Splits reruns, along with Atom Ant and The New Adventures of Gulliver.
Warner spent several years of psychological torment wondering whether it was worth remarketing the unremitting horror of the original live-action Splits (and this was decades before smarmy indie movies), just because Tom & Huck had been one of the #1 fan-requested titles since Warner first announced it was going to sell vintage H-B on disk.

The Archive not only saved H-B's hinder, it also solved the messy question of how we were going to see Huck or Atom. (Do we have Gulliver yet?...Or will they never make it?)
Now I'm wondering whether it's worth the unremitting horror of the live-action Splits--which I already suffered through on Warner's "Saturday-Morning Memories" decade collections--just to see those great "Arabian Knights" and "Three Musketeers" animated segments again. If there was anything the Archive needed to sell as its own collection...

I also suspect music rights might be another complication here. The reason I say that is, they released the edited half-hours in England, but not the U.S.
Despite constant alibis of "Print condition" when they were showing on Boomerang, music rights are reportedly holding Huckleberry Hound S2 and Quick-Draw McGraw in limbo, over their use of 50's John Seely cartoon-library music that's still technically owned by Sony/Columbia.
I'm sure Quicks-Draw would have been farther ahead on Warner's lists than Chatanooga Cats without it, but no hope seems to be on the horizon.

(Along with any hope of seeing "Gopher Broke" or "Weasel While You Work" escape the MIA Looney Tunes shorts. :( )

Last edited:

CRW

Grip
Real Name
Chris
This thread's been a trip down H-B memory lane. Some series I completely forgot about.

Rodney

Premium
But what about
The Harlem Globetrotters
The Chattanooga Cats
Those Were The Days
Wildfire
Fangface

--jthree
I would love to see all of these available!

But I think you meant:

Reactions: JamesSmith

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16