What's new

South Park Season 1 - clicking in the audio? (1 Viewer)

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
I just brought home and watched the full South Park Season 1 set. Several times per episode on Disc 1 and 2 there is an intermittent "tick" or "click" sound on the audio track.
These sounds seem to happen less and less as I watch each episode and I didn't notice them at all on Disc 3. Has anyone else noticed this sound?
I tested my system with many other DVD's and no errant sounds have come over the speakers, and when I go back to the South Park DVD the sounds are there again in the same place.
Another thing I'd like to claer up is will the Audio Commentary CD be available in Canada? I went to the Comedy Central site and printed off the form to send in to get the CD's and at first it mentiones a Canadian Money Order price but at the bottom states the offer is only available in the US.
I appreciate any help/answers you can give me. :D

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Sounds like WB used the same audio tracks for the Season One release as they did for the previous discs. This is from the original DVDFile.com review of South Park Volume 1 (not Season One.)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Havent' checked my new discs yet. The early episodes of the original discs popped on my 2nd-gen Toshiba flagship model though. Maybe they won't on my new Sony. Otherwise, disappointing that I would buy a re-issue, and they didn't correct the problems in the soudntrack.
Or, maybe Trey and Matt think it adds to the charm of the first episodes, much as the misaligned optics in the original "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe".

Gregory E

Second Unit
I think the pops are a disc problem, not a player problem. I get them on my Sony. As far as I know, they didn't fix any of the problems the old discs had.

Overall I'm disappointed with the A/V quality of the set, but for $9.99 I can't complain too much. If I paid $30...I'd be pissed.

I haven't yet received mine, but I must say that, if this is true, I am deeply apalled. I remember multiple reviews complaining about the audio glitches in some of the early volumes of SP, which contributed to my not buying them at the time. Surely the studio must have been aware of this problem in the original pressing. Even if there is some problem with the original source masters, shouldn't they note this in the packaging if they're going to release it this way? WB should be pressured for an answer on this if indeed the audio is still bad--perhaps a recall would be in order for what sounds like an inexcusable slap to the consumer. Hopefully, I'm jumping the gun, but this sounds bad.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Or, maybe Trey and Matt think it adds to the charm of the first episodes, much as the misaligned optics in the original "Cartman Gets an Anal Probe".
The R2 (well I say R2, but really they're every region sans R1) discs of season 1 don't feature any soundtrack 'pops'.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
You know, I used to own the old set... and I NEVER heard the clicks (this was back in the day [circa 1998] on an RCA player that I no longer own).
Guess I'll find out when I get my FREE set later this week (thanks DIGITALLY OBSESSED! ;) )

Jeff

Supporting Actor
This was fixed on the original release. It seems Comedy Central unfixed it.

Jeff

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Strange, I noticed the pops during the episodes AND also a few times during the Parker/Stone intros. Anyone else?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I heard them too on my Pioneer DV-333 player. These are definitely complete rehashes of the old transfers. They even have the wrong running order listed on the packaging. Also, they call a long commercial for Comedy Central a "Special Feature". Taking into consideration the missing commentaries and the lousy transfers, this is a TERRIBLE set. If you paid $9.99 for it (like I did) then you got what you paid for. If you have the old discs, keep them. This set isn't any better. Whatever you do, DON'T PAY RETAIL for them!

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the information. It sucks but it's all I've got (never bought the "theme" sets) so I'll live with it. Now I'm off to send in my proofs of purchase and see about getting the commentaries...wish me luck. :)

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, finally started watching the set last night and it was horrible. About every 20 seconds throughout the first two episodes (that's all I got through).

That disc should be recalled. They have done it for much less.

John C

Stunt Coordinator
I say anyone who purchases the set and notices the pops should continue returning the set until 1) they get a copy without the pops 2) the store finally gives them their money back or allows them to get something else. If something is defective we shouldn't be stuck with it. If enough people take them back, as they should, Warner will have to pony up the money to fix these problems.

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
so are there any Season 1 sets without the popping? Mine has the pops. I don't like it, but for $10+tax, I really can't complain too much.
But the next sets better be MUCH better audio and video wise, AND have better extras (WARNER - GIVE US THE COMMENTARIES!!!!!)

Bolivar G

Second Unit
Finally got around to watching this and the Poping is terrible.
Are all the discs this way? I was thinking of exchanging them for another set but if they are all like this, what is the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks