What's new

Soundblaster audigy 2 audio card (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Any thoughts on this card? The website says the platinum version has a built in DD decoder and I'm wondering if this is true. I'm sure it does but they have been known to misprint things.

And for you that use the audigy line, what are your thoughts?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Yes, it does have it's own decoder.

I have the first version of the Platinum EX and I'm completely happy with it. I'm able to connect an audio switcher so I can input several audio components. I use the firewire input for video input/editing and the digital out to run a coax to my living room stereo for MP3 playback.

The only drawback I've seen so far is that the software (there's a ton of software to install) is only useable on the user account that you install it under. If you plan to use the remote or other features on multiple accounts, you have to install it for each account. Not that big a deal, but it just sucks up HD space.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I have the Audigy 2 platinum and have been very happy with it in the short amount of time that I have had it (about a month). Haven't really had a chance to use all of its functions but everything I have done has worked great.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Michael:

The Audigy 2 is nice, but you may be better off just staying with an Audigy 1 card instead.

I THINK that the 2 adds only one major feature -- DVD Audio support -- which may or may not be worth the extra money you pay to get it. I don't think there's anything wrong with just getting the first one.

Also, I've heard some good things about the M-Audio Delta 410 card... that might be worth a look too. :)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Actually I have a turtle beach Santa Cruz. I'm more than happy with it and I just wanted to get a general idea of what the general thoughts are on the Audigy 2 as I have a friend thats looking into getting one.

Mark_Su

Agent
I just picked one up this weekend from Best Buy for $98 (pricematched w/ Fry's plus a preferred customer coupon). I'm more than happy with it; the sound quality is comparable to that of the M-Audio Revolution but without all the clicks and pops (I returned the Revolution three days after getting it). Just make sure your friend gets the latest Creative drivers and the BIOS upgrade from Dell (if he's running a Dell of course) if he doesn't want his PC to crash every 10 minutes.

On a related note...

Does anyone know what the TAD connection does on the soundcard? I think I can hook it up to my ethernet card. Should I?

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
One of the differences between the A2 and A1 is the true 24/96 audio this time - no resampling to 16/48 (which is what the A1 even though it claimed it could do 24/96). Also, the card is supposed to sound better than the A1 with clearer highs and lows.
Furthermore, the Audigy 2 has significantly better drivers than the A1 (very buggy). In fact, some people have improved their A1's sound quality (and eliminate most crashes) by using hacked A2 drivers.

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
Just to add another opinion... I have the Audigy 2 Platinum and I absolutely love it. I was amazed at the difference I hear when I upgraded from my Live!5.1

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
The Audigy 2 adds 6.1 support as well where as the A1 only does 5.1, I've got the A1 myself had it since September and no problems with it at all. Before I got my new HT system I was using it connected to my old dd/dts reciever and TV and it passed through both DD and DTS material perfectly when used with PowerDVD (only dvd software I know of to support dts) I really love the card myself more hokups than I will probably ever use. I use my MD recorder with it and it works beautifully off the Toslink connections. Makes game play quite fun as well I've got a creative 5.1 speaker setup hooked up to it and its awesome. No complaints here though I'd like more info on these "hacked A2 drivers" I dont see how the sound quality could be differnt between the 2 cards when they both use the same Emu10k1 processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks