Building My First HTPC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dalton, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Well i am doing a total revamp of my HT Video system(upgraded audio a few months back). I just ordered a DLP projector(Benq pb6200) and decided to demote my Pioneer 563 to DVD Audio/SACD duties. I have been building my own computers for a few years now and decided i would build my first HTPC. I wanted to build one for my old 56" 16x9 set but never got around to it. I figured since i was getting into front projection now would be the perfect time to build an HTPC. Well anyways here are the components i ordered(should all be here by Wednesday):

1. Asus P4P800-VM Motherboard
    2. Intel P4 2.8ghz processor w/1MB Cache(Prescott Core)
    3. Seagate 160GB Hard drive w/8MB Cache
    4. Soundblaster Audigy 2 for DD/DTS passthrough
    5. 512MB Kingston DDR PC3200 memory
    6. Samsung 16x DVD drive(quietest one i found after some research)
    7. Coolermaster black desktop case with fold down front cover(has that "audio component look")
    8. Radeon 9500pro 128MB Video Card (already had this card)
    9. Windows XP Home SP1 Full Version (bought this a few months back so i might as well use it)
    10. TheaterTek software for DVD playback

I plan on hooking this machine up to my network also so i can access my scores of music and videos from my 2 other machines. I was gonna put a DVD writer in but my Athlon 2500+ machine already has one. I wanted to keep this system fairly simple yet powerful and stable enough to use in my HT. I don't currently use a PVR but i may add a Video Capture card for recording in the future. I am starting to run out of funds so this setup will be it for now. Thoughts? Anything i might have left out?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'd get a gig of ram. The noise will start to annoy you sooner or later so when that happens look into getting Zalman products to replace the stock HSFs. Check out exoticpc.com or digitalconnection.com for some cases, SilenX PSUs too.

Everything else looks solid.

3. Erik*R

Erik*R Agent

Looks good but instead of 512mb go with 1 gig and instead of the Audigy go with a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 you can find the 7.1 for around $90-$99.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Solid machine, I have a very smilar one serving as my main audio editing pc... my HTPC is about 2/3s as powerful and has done a bang up job.

-Vince

5. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Thanks guys. I had thought a gig of ram would have been wise. I guess i can swing the extra 512[​IMG] I just hope it plays my DVDs and windows media 9 HD stuuf smoothly and without hiccups.

Hey Vince,
    How's the weight loss coming along? I'm down 45lbs now.

Dalton

6. Min Kim

Min Kim Auditioning

Return the Audigy!

7. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton

Are they really that bad? I am no big fan of Creative Labs. I do have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card that has digital passthrough. I could always use that.

8. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Ordered another 512MB of ram....just to be sure[​IMG]

9. Min Kim

Min Kim Auditioning

Just kidding. They're perfectly fine sound cards. But I'd still go with the M-Audio Revolution. Sounds a little better.
    512 mgs. of Ram is enough for me, but can't go wrong with a whole gig.

10. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

218 this morning which puts me 37 pounds lost since January 23rd, so I'm on par to drop 40 pounds in 80 days-- as long as I drop another 3 pounds by the 13th.

PS: I too hate creative/audigy cards, I ahve a Maudio in mine, even just for passthrough.

-V

11. Joe Rosiak

Joe Rosiak Agent

Are there any video cards out that have a Component or DVI type inputs on it? I would like to send my HD receiver inputs into my PC for recording.

12. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Yes there are HD capture cards out there but all of the ones i looked at were very expensive. I will wait a while before trying one out. My HTPC is up and running super.[​IMG] I am using it for this post as a matter of fact. Love the PQ for DVD's.[​IMG]

Dalton