What's new

Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up DVD (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Has anyone used this? Is it set to calibrate at 75dB or 85dB? Does it have a separate LFE test? I can't seem to find the Video Essentials disc anywhere.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
S&V is the less technical calibration disk by Ovation, maker of Avia.

Tho S&V isnt specific, I believe 85dB here is the same as 85dB on Avia. While 85dB calibration is LOUD, very few actually listen at this level in the living room or wherever.

The Ovation subwoofer test calibration is designed to work with speaker set-up as SMALL.

Go for it....

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I have my front L&R set to large (B&W 802's) and have been running the Sub (dual VTF-3's) as LFE only. I have very good results with this setup. The Preamp strips the LFE out of the mains and sends it to the Sub.I have tried setting speakers to small and felt a was missing some fulness and presence in the front sound stage! The large setting does create minor room interactions...but sounds great at the sweet spot! Heck, the Widscreen review Editor has (4) subs in his reference listening room! Are there any calibration discs that let you run Fronts in large? Since my preamp is Ultra THX certified...can you calibrate with the internal test tones?

Mike Sloan

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
VE has a dedicated LFE test. SVS-Ron for one recommends it for his subs. (I dont have it).

If purchasing, be advised the long-awaited new Digital Video Essentials (as written up by Joe Kane in a recent WSR) is due for release after a January trade show presentation. Prices not announced.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
s&v htt is reference level at 85dB. the subwoofer test isnt an lfe tone, but rather a bass tone put through the main left channel that your crossover sends to the sub. this way it tests the crossover and allows for a proper relative balance. if your mains are set to large, i don't think it will probably work. im not really sure. im surprised you prefer the large setting though, because im fairly sure that the dual vtf3 is going to have a much greater impact at any bass frequency than your mains would.

its really easy to use and i love the disk. for half the price of its competitors its a steal. the video calibration worked very well also. i believe its test tones and video tests are basically identical to avia, its made by ovation also. of course it doesnt include all the ones from avia, so if you want a ton of tests and dont mind paying, avia has a lot more.

Sebastian

Second Unit
What does everyone set their LFE at when using the HTT disc?
Reason I am asking is when I set my sub level to the left main, my sub level is at -12dB (lowest) and my volume control on the sub is 5-7 clicks out of 40.
The bass is hard to hear at this level, Actually it sounds like it is off. So I put it 10dB above the left main and it sounds good there and then I bump it 5dB more since I listen to movies at low volumes.

Yes, my LFE settings are correct on the rec for DD ad DTS (0 and +10)

For the people who own both VE and HTT, how does the bass level compare between the discs when calibrating?

Ben Jordan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben
I have both of the Ovation discs, the S&V Tune Up and Avia, and I'm glad I got both. I really enjoy all of the DD trailers (6 or 8 of them) and the THX demo (the exploding sphere thing) on the S&V disc, which I often use as demos for my friends.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
Sebastion, do you mean what subwoofer output level ? my knob on my svs sub is at 11 o'clock (a bit less than half), and my receiver output is at -3 (on a scale of -10 to 10). do you have your speakers set to small? the sub should definately be loud enough to be heard easily.

Oh, and Ben, I like the trailers on the HTT disc also, but i wish the THX ball exploding demo had the same volume as phantom menace. The HTT disc must have recorded that demo much lower, at least 20dB lower I bet.

Brandon H

Auditioning
I agree that using the S&V disk to calibrate sub level left me dissatisfied, I cranked my 20-39 PC+ appreciably hotter to get the sound I like, both for video and music. I was not terribly impressed with this DVD, but it was all I could find locally when my SVS arrived last Thursday.

Sebastian

Second Unit
Yeah, they are set to small. I think the sub level on HTT may be recorded 10 dB to high, because when I calibrated my sub a couple of months ago using VE. That sub level matches the HTT disc when I set the sub 10dB higher than the mains.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Made the world of difference when I calibrated. But I don'tthink it even works when mains are set to large? Liked the 6.1 setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks