What's new

Sound issues with PS3 (1 Viewer)

TJoe

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
I have a Hitachi/Yamaha home theater system. Allowed the geek squad from Best Buy to set up that system. Now I'm trying to hook up the PS3 and am not able to get sound on the PS3. BB tells me it is "easy" however I'm a real novice in this and I'm not sure what additional cables I need. Help please? What goes from what to what?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You'll have to specify the model numbers of the equipment you have. It depends what connectors are present & whether the receiver supports audio over HDMI.

Typically, you need 1 or 2 HDMI cables. You may or may not need an optical cable in addition. You may also need to change certain settings on the PS3 & the receiver.

sumo82

Auditioning
Real Name
Sumo
it's most likely the settings in the ps3. You need to go to sound settings in the ps3 menu and set the audio output to run via hdmi or rca, however way you have it hooked up to your receiver.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'm just curious, do most soundbars have 3 speakers in them(front left, right and center)? If so, how do you calibrate a soundbar? Do you calibrate it as one speaker or (3) each one separately? How is a soundbar treated in your A/V receiver? Thanks.

TJoe

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Been working overtime at job so not able to get back to this quite yet. But it sounds like we need to do something with the PS3, although right now we have only cable. Keep hearing about connecting the in and or out cables correctly but again real novice here not sure where I'm connecting anything.

TJoe

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Now one of our speakers has stopped working. Had only 3 out of 5 that worked was able to get one up but the other...........no loose cables or connections.
Is it possible that geek squad hooked everything up in such a way that we have to unhook everything to get it to work?

Dllhall

Auditioning
Real Name
Dylan Hall
Hi guys, I am having a similar problem... I am not getting any sound through my Sony STR-KM5000 receiver through the HDMI cables. I have gone to the PS3 settings under auto which didn't work, manual and selected all boxs which i don't get an frequency error for. Press x to accept, but nothing. I have been through the threads above but have not been able to pick a solution...

any pointers on what I could try next... Dylan

charliedavidson

Auditioning
Real Name
Charlie
This is interesting, only been using my TV speakers for my PS3.. didn't attempt to tinker with the wires until i have a professional look at it.. Hope i could use the tips here to give me the courage to wire things myself..

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Hi folks!

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific - what does work, what does not work, how is it connected now, what do you expect to accomplish?

The PS3 has settings in the menu named "audio" and also has audio settings for Blu Ray under the "video settings" menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks