What's new

Sound card output (1 Viewer)

Mike Nep

Stunt Coordinator
What is everyone using to send signal to their receiver. what connections do I need to do this because my sound card doesn't have a digital coaxial out or a toslink. I think I'm screwed. Please help.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
If I remember correctly, I've got digital coax coming from the S/PDIF on my Hollywood Plus card (a hardware mpeg decoder) to my receiver.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
What type of sound card do you have?

Does it specify a SPDIF output? Lots do, you need to turn them on

You also need a 1/8" to RCA converter cable.

You should be able to run it into your receiver directly then.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
brentl- I have an SBLive! mp3+ and it does have a 1/8" jack that says S/PDIF. Where can I get a converter? I currently use a 1/8" --> stereo RCA out to the receiver, plugged into the analog audio out on the sound card. I guess I just need the same thing as that except it has to be mono.

Jedd

Second Unit
there are couple thing you can do, depending on the software you use:

like:

- to use mp3 ability of the receiver you have to go to winamp preferences and configure the plugin to send signal to the S/PDIF

-to watch movies in the PowerDVD you have to go to Audio options and select between Stereo and S/PDIF outputs

If you cant find these, you also can go to the Control Pannel -> Multimedia -> Audio and select playback option in the combobox.

Mike Nep

Stunt Coordinator
So you're all saying that the 1/8" to rca converter thingy will transfer a digital signal to my receiver?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Yes you'll need an adapter that has male 1/8" stereo mini plug on one side to female digital coaxial. Then use a digital coaxial interconnect from your sound card to your receiver.

If you play PCM stereo digital music it will sound fine. However, I don't think your soundblaster MP3 has AC3 dolby digital pass through. You might need a 5.1 compatable soundcard for that.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
male 1/8" STEREO mini plug.

That's the biggy ... Stereo

Yep, unless it specifies DD5.1 you are pretty much stuck with Stereo(pro logic)

Brent

Just ask Radio Shack, they'll hook you up.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
However, I don't think your soundblaster MP3 has AC3 dolby digital pass through. You might need a 5.1 compatable soundcard for that.
that is incorrect. any of the sounblaster live cards with a digital output can pass a DD/DTS/PCM bitstream. The "5.1" series cards just have 6-channel analog output, whereas the non-5.1 series cards only have 4-channel.

Mike,

all you need is the 1/8" mono to RCA adapter, and a 75 Ohm RCA cable, nad you'll be set. to get 5.1 sound you need to be using a software dvd player which supports passing the dd/dts bitstream (current ones do w/o a problem) and have the audio output set to SPDIF. you might also have to enable digital output in the soundblaster control app somewhere.

Mike Nep

Stunt Coordinator
You guys all kick serious ass! Thanks for the help. Now I need some help configuring my HTPC to output picture to my JUST ARRIVED ae100! Anyone now the basics with winDVD and powerstrip? I'm such a newb aren't I? Please help.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Yea that's what I was thinking. Digital bitstream is not stereo. We would need a MONO adapter.

Mike Nep

Stunt Coordinator
I have both stereo and mono so I'll try both. My receiver syncs to a digital signal and lights up a digital sign. I'll post again when I find out.

Westly T

Second Unit
I've heard that SB cards output overly high Coax outputs that have been known to damage some receivers and that the quality is not the best available. I ordered a Zoltrix Nightingale PRO 6 Sound Card because it can be had for around $40 and has both optical and coaxial inputs and outputs. I use it for DTS, DD, and PCM.
components.jpg

scheme.jpg

A Review can be viewed http://www.digit-life.com/articles/zoltrixpro6/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks