What's new

Sony's Service Poor - Help me find a part? (1 Viewer)

Bill Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony 53" XBR rear projection TV that I bought six years ago. About 8 weeks ago something failed and I could no longer get the 3 guns to converge. Long horror story with Sony that I won't bore you with, but basically here I am 8 weeks later with a busted TV and no end in sight. I know my TV is six years old, but if I'm going to pay almost $3000 for something, I expect them to support it even six years later.
My service guy tells me that I need a Convergence Amp IC (which Sony doesn't seem to be able to deliver or care that much about delivering). Is there anyplace else I might find this part? Maybe on the Internet?
Thanks for your help. Bill

Peter_A

Second Unit
You could try www.pacparts.com
They might be able to help you
------------------
Peter
"If rubbin' dirt in your crotch is wrong, hey I don't wanna be right" - Futurama

Bill Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Peter. I tried them put they only had a remote control for that TV. Anybody else out there know where to get parts (chips, boards, etc.) for a Sony TV?
Thanks. Bill

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed
Just enter the part number and see if you can get it that way
MCM electronics is another sourcethat carries a lot of repair parts
I believe they are www.mcmelectronics.com
good luck
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Larry Gegel

Auditioning
You also might want to try Herman Electronics. They have always had what I needed. I was actually able to get a part for a 13 year-old Onkyo Integra cassette deck from them. It took a couple of weeks to get it because they had to get it from the component manufacturer, but they did get it. http://www.hermanelectronics.com
Larry Gegel

AndyLynn

Auditioning
Bill, it sounds like the same problem that I had with my 53xbr last year. I got the 2 STK convergeance ICs from Audio Lab in Doraville, GA, part # STK392-010. They had them in stock. Replace both...a must. Also check, believe it or not, capacitor C517 and C518 on the AA (audio board).
They are 470uf 50v caps. They are positoned near the 3 connectors that go to color guns pc boards. They are part of the video circuit. Don't ask why they are on the audio board but check them for a "popped top". After replacing that, a few hours of advanced convergence adjustments and I have a picture that rivals any TV in any video store.
Andy Schoenbrun

Bill Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the all the good info. Out of the blue the service guy showed up today and fixed my TV. He said he received the parts yesterday even though Sony customer service was telling me they hadn't found them yet as late as yesterday afternoon. Next time I'll know where to look.
Bill

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
I have serious (massive, tremendous, unwatchable to say the least) convergence issues on my '94 53XBR, as well. For others who wind up on this thread after a search, check this link: http://www.anatekcorp.com/faq/archprotv.htm
Do a CTRL-F search on the page for 53XBR and you'll find that this convergence problem on this set is widespread and very unsupported by Sony, and you'll find a lot of detailed posts about how the problem was approached on a number of the sets by repair techs.
I've been a Sony nut for a long time but this is the latest in a series of problems with Sony equipment that has just about soured my opinion of them.
Jerry
P.S. Does anybody have any good links with detailed instructions for tweaking/calibrating the 53XBRs, the ones that are working?
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks