What's new

Sony's 2022-23 Native 4K HDR Laser Projector line-up (2 Viewers)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Guess it's down to how much "laser" means to you versus max budget.
1652106675034.png

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Check out Robert Archer of CEPro's Podcast of the ‘Video Guys’ Discuss New Sony Projectors, Theater Setup Tips.

The "Video Guys" include Joel Silver of ISF, Jason Dustal of AVPro/Murideo, and me, Robert Zohn of Value Electronics.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
My quandry is the availability of the 97" OLED coming later this year. Given the likely price of the 97" LG G2 ($25,000 thereabouts) I'm now tempted to consider this as an alternative mostly because Projector + Screen + Lumagen/MadVR + Calibration of either Sony or JVC flagship laser projectors would easily exceed $25,000. Although ideally, a projector could give me both 130" 2.35:1 and 100" 16:9 but I would "settle" for 100" in 16:9 (and black bars on 2.35:1 content) in return for the far superior HDR impact at this size, not to mention long hours saved avoiding all the troubleshooting required to properly tone map and setup these laser projectors. The biggest advantage is mobility: I can uninstall the entire system and move it elsewhere more easily than moving around a 97" OLED TV.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Very good ^ subject to discuss!

Here's some of the advantages of a large screen OLED TV vs. projection system:
  1. OLED displays deliver pure black and higher peak luminance than any projector can do. Benefits range from better HDR image performance to no need to view in a light controlled environment with a dark ceiling and walls.
  2. OLED displays have better color saturation and color volume.
  3. Installation of a TV is easier with the OLED TV display typically positioned near the equipment. With a long throw projection system you will need a long and expensive HDMI cable and two CAT6 cables to support IP control and you home network to the projector.
Here's some of the advantages of a projection system vs. large screen OLED TV:
  1. As you properly stated you can select a larger screen size with a projection system.
  2. Projection systems render the picture from passive screen so you see reflected images that have a cinematic feeling.
I love the cinema experience of watching in a dark room with a large immersive image size, but the overall picture performance of all image elements is better from an OLED display.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My quandry is the availability of the 97" OLED coming later this year. Given the likely price of the 97" LG G2 ($25,000 thereabouts) I'm now tempted to consider this as an alternative mostly because Projector + Screen + Lumagen/MadVR + Calibration of either Sony or JVC flagship laser projectors would easily exceed $25,000. Although ideally, a projector could give me both 130" 2.35:1 and 100" 16:9 but I would "settle" for 100" in 16:9 (and black bars on 2.35:1 content) in return for the far superior HDR impact at this size, not to mention long hours saved avoiding all the troubleshooting required to properly tone map and setup these laser projectors. The biggest advantage is mobility: I can uninstall the entire system and move it elsewhere more easily than moving around a 97" OLED TV.
If a 97” is big enough for your tastes and room, it seems like this is a great choice.

But otherwise, even 120” is a lot larger than 97”. And the immersive factor can outweigh a lot of other factors.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If a 97” is big enough for your tastes and room, it seems like this is a great choice.

But otherwise, even 120” is a lot larger than 97”. And the immersive factor can outweigh a lot of other factors.
Not for me, especially when moving up from a 65" to 97" display. Now, I can understand those used to watching on 120" screens not having the same feeling as I do when reducing screen size.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I really should reduce my projector image to 100” and see how it feels. But I think I’m still happier with 120” HD than 97” 4K.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
See my edited post!

I really should reduce my projector image to 100” and see how it feels. But I think I’m still happier with 120” HD than 97” 4K.
How far are you all sitting from your projector screens, I'm curious. I'm exactly 10ft away which is perfect for the 97" 16:9 OLED but makes the 2.35:1 on the OLED a bit smaller than I'd like. I guess I could limit my widescreen movies to "IMAX Enhanced" Disney content LOL

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm also ~10ft away from my 120" 16x9 4K projected screen -- I'd probably go up to 135" if I could fit it.

I believe @DaveF uses similar screen-size-to-distance ratio IIRC.

Absolutely no interest in spending a ton more for OLED to downsize to <=100"...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
How far are you all sitting from your projector screens, I'm curious. I'm exactly 10ft away which is perfect for the 97" 16:9 OLED but makes the 2.35:1 on the OLED a bit smaller than I'd like. I guess I could limit my widescreen movies to "IMAX Enhanced" Disney content LOL
Back row is 16’, which is majority of use for tv and chilling with my wife.
Front row is 9’-10’ for movies and important stuff.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Another huge detractor from OLED for me is that you can't position speakers optimally. There's nothing quite like a center channel right in the middle of an AT screen. Yes, OLED can be close, but it's a compromise in audio vs the AT screen approach.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
Another huge detractor from OLED for me is that you can't position speakers optimally. There's nothing quite like a center channel right in the middle of an AT screen. Yes, OLED can be close, but it's a compromise in audio vs the AT screen approach.
Good point, I kind of solved that by matrixing my Height Center channel (auro3d layout) and main Center channel (both speakers nearly identical above 100Hz) with the Trinnov to create a phantom channel in the middle of the screen! It's the center audio is anchored pretty well too.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A friend bought an 83" Sony OLED for his media room and loves it. And he gets 120 Hz PS5 gaming to boot. I'm jealous of him, in a way, having such a clean solution for about what I'll spend on a projector.

But, if 100"+ is your jam, direct view is still a substantial compromise. You don't have to buy a Lumagen. You don't have to buy a NZ9 for a 120" class screen. You can get even an NZ8 or maybe the upcoming Sony XW6000 and get a marvelous 120" image for $10k less than this 97" LG.

Or make more compromises and buy a ~$6k "entry" 4K projector and save almost $20k compared to the 97" OLED.

As for me, when direct view is 110"+ for ~$15k, I'm seriously looking at dropping projectors. Assuming such a screen can get to my basement, which I'm not actually sure it can. :/

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That 97" LG OLED is a first generation in that size which is why the pricing is so high. There is a possibility that the pricing will drop in future generations just like it did for the 65", 77" and 83".

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
That 97" LG OLED is a first generation in that size which is why the pricing is so high. There is a possibility that the pricing will drop in future generations just like it did for the 65", 77" and 83".
I'm hoping 10 years from now that 120-150" microLED wall setups will be in the sub 25K price range.

A man can dream...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks