What's new

Sony VTR-VA555es (1 Viewer)

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
What Hi Fi gives this unit some high marks. Which American model is this? Also any owning this unit, tell me what you think for H/T. They rate it over the 3802 Denon. Another question that gets ask frequently but only partially ever answered, on H/T only (besides the obvious of outboard amps) what could a $2k to $4k pre/pro do better in H/T than this unit? I don't want to hear about setup or eq'ing features, but sound quality and steering. Center dialog and Bass management (distribution). I am sure alot of people would really like to hear some straight forward answers and not positions of defending ones own purchase.
thanks
andy

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andy, I shared some excerpts of What Hi*Fi?'s "Group Test" that included the Sony STR-VA555ES and Denon AVR-3802 a few weeks back. There was a good discussion in that thread, so do a search.

The 'VA555ES is the overseas version of the 'DA5ES. Hi-Fi Choice out of the UK did a Group Test in the same month as What Hi*Fi? and did not rate the 'VA555ES as favorably. Hi-Fi Choice included the '3802, Onkyo TX-DS696, Arcam AVR 200, and Harman/Kardon AVR 5500 (European model). They rated the Onkyo model the best in the group. I included excerpts of the Hi-Fi Choice article in the same thread I mentioned above.

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
Keith
found the threads on the Da5es and others. which receiver have you picked. where my son works they just got the whole new sony line in today, so i'll be off to listen probably Thursday. I still want to hear about sound differences in the processor sections of receivers and pre/pros though. even the TGIII for that matter. See I can get the sony, denon or sunfire at a substantial (very substantial) savings. I just need to pick one.
andy

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andy, the reason I have been looking into new ES receivers is that my Sony STR-V444ES from two years ago is with Sony for a repair ("PROTECTOR" mode -- long story, but not Sony's fault). Sony is still telling me that it is being repaired and that I should get it back "soon". I am skeptical, but in the end, I might not get a new receiver. Meanwhile, I am still reading reviews of the 'DA4ES with earnest. Truthfully, the 'DA3ES, which is on the way out, has all the features I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks