What's new

Sony STR DA4ES and wavy lines in S-Video (1 Viewer)

MattJS

Grip
Hoping someone can shed a little light here for me...

Just took delivery of my Tosh 57HX83, and have come to find that when I use my Sony STR DA4ES as a video pass-through for the S-Video from my PS2/Directivo/anything I am getting some noticable wavy lines....

I am using higher quality S-video cables, and I have tried connecting each component directly to the TV and have not been able to see the problem.

I should also mention I tried to duplicate the problem with my older Mits 43" RPTV and had no problem...

Do my Tosh and my Sony just not like each other?

TIA for any help!

Matt

p.s. why does my Sony have S2video outputs? Are they different than standard S-video outs? Please forgive my ignorance...

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Hi MattJS,

I also have a Sony 4ES, and noticed some interesting vertical "white" lines when going through the 4ES. (also using s-video). They went away when I went directly into the TV (I have a Panny 53wx43). I decided that it is either feed from the 4ES, or from the cable. I just decided that going direct to the TV is the easiest. For component switching, I am using an old Sony video/audio switcher (I use the video + l/r audio connections) and it works great).

Kimo B.

MattJS

Grip
Kimo,

Thanks for the reply..the problem is exactly as you described.

Luckily enough, the 2 component, and 2 s video's in the rear of my new Tosh are enough for now....

Thanks again,

Matt

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
MattJS,

Glad to hear I am not the only one. I was suprised that I did not see it before, and then all of a sudden, there they were. I spent a while trying to make sure it was not my TV, and finally just decided to by pass the reciever, and viola, things looked better. I wonder if it is just a s-video issue. I never tried the component video switching, so I don't know if those lines are there.

As for the S2 video outs, I was wondering the same thing...

Kimo

MattJS

Grip
Kimo,

I didn't try my component video switching either, I just couldn't justify the cost of another cable at 40-50$. Especially since the S-video doesn't work so well....

I read something in the manual about the S2 being converted to S-video, but it was very vague, and I think it may have something to do with it.

The only problem I have now is, when I watch older movies (like Top Gun, my wife wanted to watch it) even the DVD is not the greatest quality, I think I'll chalk it up to the analog to digital conversion, since that movie is already 20 years old.

Matrix Reloaded looked absolutely pristine on this set! I love it!

Best,

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks