What's new

Sony Dream System (1 Viewer)

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
Please hear me out before I get flamed...
I am looking for a nice (inexpensive) bedroom system, I already have what I think is a very nice system in the basement, but my wife like s to watch movies and such in bed (no comments..)
Any way I was looking at a Sony Dream system, the DAV-C700 ($700), it is a HT in a box kind of deal, with the DVD player and receiver built into one unit, and five small speakers with a separate "bass module." It also does SACD, but that is really not very important to me.
Now, Polk Audio has something similar, the RMDS1 ($2700), but it does not include the DVD player and it is MUCH more expensive.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of system from Sony?

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I kind of like the packaging of this system. It's attractive and the remote looks cool. However, I would probably go with the DAV900 or DAV500 (best or cheapest), but not inbetween. The DAV900 sports a more streamlined center channel speaker and more attractive looking mains with matching stands. It goes for $1000, though. (Cheaper than the JVC at $1400 and similar in overall look and build) The Polk is pretty much outdated, but does sound fuller. Prices on similar systems have come down since then. Be warned that dialogue from the DAV500 and DAV700 sound more "spitty" than the 900, but is good enough at higher volumes.
Elbert

Keith M.

Second Unit
I have recently added the DAV300 to our bedroom, and I am very impressed. Of course, it cant compare to our denon5800 HT setup, but it is perfect for a bedroom. After calibration w/ SPL, DVD movies are very enjoyable. Very good DTS/Dolby decoding, adequate power for a bedroom, very good FM tuner reception, decent bass response and matches our bedroom Wega perfectly. The DSP modes are useless and hokey, but usually are...
Originally, I was planning on purchasing the DAV500 w/ SACD because we currently have a Sony 9000ES player in our theater, but got a great deal on the now discontinued DAV300, and am just as happy. It has the most impressive form factor of any of the compact systems available. I personally did not want a full rack of equipment in my master suite, one is enough. (you know what i mean hehe)
Bottom line, for a bedroom setup, it is perfect. Go with any of Sony's Dream Systems for a bedroom, and you will be very pleased...

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I will second the davs300. I got one for my parents last year at Christmas and they just love it. I must say that for the money it is quite a nice system.. I would even take it over the much more expensive Bose systems around. For the money I think it is a great buy!
Good Luck,
Brandon

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I just bought the Sony DAV-500 and it is a POS for playback of regular CD's..It just sounds terrible.
I am dissapointed with it and may take it back for something different.
------------------
Trevor..
Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated pictures due to recent upgrades!

Matt Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I bought the Sony DAVS-300 (last years model) for our living room HT to go with our Panny CT-32HX40. My wife watches most her TV on this setup and it sounds pretty darn good. We've never actually watched a DVD on it, but we liked the "smallness" of it, and my wife likes the color and how it matches with the Panny.
For a second HT, I would highly recommend the Dream System concept from Sony.
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks