What's new

Sony DA5ES review (1 Viewer)

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
I went to the Good Guys last night and they had the DA5ES on display. It does have DPLII and DTS Neo 6, you can activate them by pressing the surround button behind the front plastic door. I didn't listen to it but I noticed that its transformer is pretty big, as big as the DA777ES transformer I think. Its capacitors are much smaller than 777's though. Its build quality is MUCH better than the V series receivers but not as good as the 777. The volume control seemed to be OK but, as you know, it might get bad with time. The unit was made in Malaysia.

Razvan

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward to someone confirming, with their own eyes and ears, that the 'DA5ES will indeed do DPLII, DTS-ES discrete, and DTS Neo:6. I know that Crutchfield's website says that the 'DA5ES has these features, but Crutchfield's been wrong before. In all of the pictures of the 'DA5ES, nowhere do I see a DPLII or DTS-ES logo stamped on the front of the unit. You'd think Sony would want to make it absolutely clear that the 'DA5ES has these features! Also, Razvan said in his first review that he was unable to activate DPLII or DTS-ES, but now he says all you have to do is press the Surround button on the front of the unit? :confused: It seems like the first thing he'd have tried when he had the 'DA5ES would be to press the Surround button!! No offense Razvan, but now I'm confused! Did you have the 'DA3ES or the 'DA5ES?
Keith, please post your findings about the 'DA5ES once you've gotten a chance to actually put your hands on one. I'd go look myself but the only place around here that sells Sony ES is a small B&M shop that doesn't get new Sony stuff until about 3 months after it's generally available.
FWIW, I haven't heard word one from Oade about when this thing's going to be available from them...and I've had my name on the waiting list for months. Actually, I hope that the 'DA5ES doesn't have the features we're all talking about...then I won't feel compelled to upgrade!! :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, the manual for the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES (they share one manual) has a table at the beginning highlighting the differences between the two models. The manual indeed states that the 'DA5ES offers DPL-II, DTS-ES discrete 6.1, and DTS-Neo, while the 'DA3ES does not.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,

You might check with Oade Bros, I received a shipping confirmation from FedEx two days ago that my DA5ES had shipped from Oade Bros. Hopefully I will have it to play with this weekend.

geo

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys-
Keith-
Damn!! Now I'll have to upgrade. Unfortunately, due to my new car (see webpage in signature), it'll probably be a while. :frowning:
Geo-
Please give us a review when you receive your new toy. It sounds like the only thing the receiver lacks at this point is another rear-channel amp. Regarding Oade -- I'm surprised I haven't heard anything from them yet...I still have their e-mail stating I'm on the waitlist (from back in August!). Oh well, I'll contact 'em to see what's up, but I'm really not in a position to buy right now anyway.
Hey, do either of you guys know the height of the receiver? My stuff's packed in pretty tight right now, so I can only spare an inch or so.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I had a quick look and listen to the new receivers. I don't think the DA5 does DPLII. It's nowhere to be found in the surround +/- button DSP selections. This is with a PCM feed. The salesman also thought that Sony didn't include it but it was a new piece in the store and he was also just getting familiar with it.

The unit says DTS-ES on the front panel so I suspect it does have that as in the previous review but not sure about Neo. The 6.1 mode button also seemed to be behaving strangely. In some instances the rear center was active, in others I didn't get anything. I guess one needs to read the manual.

The DA3es didn't have the 2-way remote and gave me the impression that it was positioned more like the V333es in the old line.

I'll try listening to some more dd/dts material during the next opportunity. But so far, no goosebumps like a DA777es audition.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, sweet ride! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: According to Crutchfield's web site, the height of the 'DA5ES is 6 7/8".
I haven't been to your web site in awhile. In some respects, I feel like I am looking at my web site. I too have the CDP-CX333ES megachanger (actually two daisy-chained), the TC-KA2ES cassette deck, and a PS-LX350H turntable. :)
My brother has the DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD player. He bought it a couple weeks ago. I helped him pick it out. :) He wanted a progressive-scan DVD player, and I convinced that SACD was worth having. It's a sweet machine, and he loves it.
I remember we talked awhile back about Sony ES minidisc players. Back then, I was using an MDS-JB930, and if you recall, I chose it over the 'JA20ES after much deliberating. Well, back in June, I bought a 'JA555ES for my main system. The 'JB930 is now upstairs in my second system. Getting an ES minidisc player was certainly worth the money. I love the 'JA555ES.

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,

First of all it wasn't me who reviewed the DA5ES. I pasted the review from a Sony forum. I myself think that the review is bogus.

The only DA5ES that I saw so far was a display unit at the Good Guys. It did have DPL II and it said so on the front panel. Crutchfield has pics of a very early unit or something. The production units do have DPL II, there's no question about it.

Razvan

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Razvan,

I just noticed that you were able to engage DPL-II and DTS Neo on the DA5 from a button under the door. I tried the surround button under the door and had no success. And then tried the mode +/- above the door also with no success. The dedicated button to Digital Concert Hall was a complete waste - A much better use of this would have been dedicated to switch between DPL, DPLII & Neo IMO.

I share in the reviewers dissappointment in that I had higher expectations for the DA3es as a value leader. The DA3es seems like a crippled DA5es. W/out DPL-II, DTS ES and the 2-way LCD remote, featurewise the DA3es is not a big improvement over last year's $1K retail ES receiver. Especially considering Sony should have had at least 6.1 matrix capabality last year to compete in the market. Although I do think the DA3 may sound better with it's superior power supply, I don't see how someone could choose it over a competing Denon, Onkyo, ect. The manufacturers have sacraficed performance as of late but packed them with features in the sub-$1K market as evidenced by some of the anemic power delivery of receivers by Marantz and Onkyo. They know features will sell more receivers in the mass market.

The DA5es with a $500+ discount over retail may indeed be the new performance-value leader with 6.1 and a good power supply but I was hoping that price point would be nearer the $600-700 mark than $1000.

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Gil,

I think that during the past 2 or 3 years Sony has made only one really good receiver: the DA777ES. The V series were terrible. The new ones seem to be a little better but, yes, you're right, the DA3ES doesn't make any sense. I mean the DA3ES is basically a 2000 model. The DA5ES is overpriced, nobody in his right mind would pay $1500 for it. I don't have any idea why Sony didn't release an up to date version of the DA777ES as their new flagship... That would have been a killer receiver.

Razvan

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Keith-
Thanks for the compliment! Man, it really looks now like the 'DA5ES has all of the features I was hoping for. However, with the new car, my wife will $hit (understandably) if I even mention the words "new receiver." Plus, if Crutchfield's measurements are correct, the 'DA5ES is only 1/2 inch taller than my 'DA50ES, so it would fit in my cabinet no problem. :angry: ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! :angry: I guess I'll wait until the spring/summer to get the receiver. Hey, I know...I got a new 'Vette...I shouldn't whine about having to wait to get a new receiver. :)
Razvan-
I didn't mean to offend you in any way. Your comments certainly make more sense now that I understand that that wasn't your review! :laugh: I'm also as surprised as you are that the 'DA5ES doesn't appear the same caliber as the 'DA777ES...especially considering that they're at the same price point. Of course, I personally haven't heard either of those receivers, so I'm in no position to compare 'em. For some reason though, I have a suspicion that the 'DA3ES and the 'DA5ES might be stop-gap models (especially considering the 'DA3ES's lack of features). Maybe we'll see an "STR-DA7ES" mid-year. :frowning:
I can't wait for someone to get this unit in their house...I'm dying for a review, and even better, a comparison with the Denon 3802!

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,

It's possible that a DA7ES will be released later in 2002. And maybe it will be based on the upcoming Sony ES separates just as the 777 was based on the 9000 separates. If I were you I wouldn't buy the DA5ES. If you're ready to wait until summer then wait a little more and get a 2002 unit. I think that the next big thing in receivers will be firewire and maybe DPL III ( similar to Logic 7) and it's possible that the 2002 models will have both.

Razvan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Razvan,
So, what do you think of the Sony 'V' series of ES receivers? You've been pretty vague on this point over the past year. :rolleyes: Just remember that some people own these receivers and are happy with them.
Gil,
Sorry that you are disappointed with the 'DA3ES. I realize that it retails for $1000, but I don't really view it as a $1000 receiver since Oade Bros. and J&R Music World (authorized dealers) are selling it for $685 delivered and $700 delivered, respectively. If I had to pay $1000 for the 'DA3ES, I'd have a different view of it. The point is that it much more difficult to find similar discounts on $1000 Marantz or Denon receivers, at least from authorized dealers. In all of this, if the 'DA3ES sounds signifincantly better than last year's ES receivers, then for $700, it's not too bad at all. If I were to buy it, it would be for the possible better sound quality than my 'V444ES and two sets of multi-channel inputs. The 6.1 modes don't interest me.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I had a chance yesterday evening to play around with the DA5ES and I can conclude that this receiver does not have DPL-II, DTS-ES Discrete or DTS-Neo. I worked around for more than an hour with the receiver but could not see any evidence of this receiver supporting any of the formats I mentioned above.

Maybe someone can clearly explain it how it is done if it could be done at all. Sony's website is so crappy that it does not make any mention of this receiver too. Someone please provide an official SONY link to this receiver.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Well, if what Nick says is correct; namely, that the DA5ES doesn't support DTS-ES or DPL-II, then I feel even more strongly that the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES are stop-gap models.
Keith-
You mentioned that the 'DA5ES manual states that it does have DTS-ES and DPL-II -- did you get a chance to figure out how to engage either of those two modes?
Personally, I find it patently ridiculous that Sony would release a new "flagship" receiver that doesn't include DTS-ES and DPL-II. If the 'DA5ES indeed lacks those features, how in the world does Sony intend to compete with other mid-fi receiver manufacturers? I guess because they're Sony...but I'll tell you, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Sony ES guy and I will definitely NOT buy a new receiver, from any manufacturer, unless it includes DTS-ES discrete and DPL-II.
I guess I'll be waiting to see if Sony has their act together with the new 'DA5ES before I commit to anything.
:angry:

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Greg, I understand your frustration. I too am looking forward from Sony to break out a good replacement for the 777ES. I like their ES line a lot. I owned the STRDA555ES and was very happy with it.

HankM

Second Unit
Does the DA5ES have 7.1 channels or is it 6.1? For $1500 I hope you can at least have 2 back surrounds.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg,

I only saw the 'DA3ES at Tweeter the other day, not the 'DA5ES. They didn't have the 'DA5ES in stock yet when I was there. The manual included with the 'DA3ES is shared with the 'DA5ES, and there is a table at the beginning that indicates key features available to both models. That's where I saw that the 'DA5ES offers both DPL-II and DTS-ES discrete 6.1.

Hank,

The 'DA5ES does not offer 7.1, just 6.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks