Anyone have a Sony STR-DA5ES?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Stuemky, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Matt_Stuemky

Matt_Stuemky Auditioning

Hi All,

I'm brand new to HT. I'm planning to buy my first A/V receiver sometime in the next few months. As with all major purchases, I'm taking my time and carefully evaluating various brands, including Sony, Denon, JVC, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha. My target is $800-$1200 for a "pro-sumer" receiver, and probably that same amount for speakers. (However, I don't want to discuss speakers here just yet!)

Now, regarding the STR-DA5ES, I haven't had any luck finding any reviews about it anywhere. That makes sense given that it's a new receiver. Can anyone provide a URL to any reviews? Also, I would think there's probably a few of you who have it. If so, any comments? Praises? Complaints?

Also, are the Sony ES models the only receivers that carry a five-year manufacturers warranty?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Matt.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Do a search in the main hardware forum. There are reviews, and I would say, based on those reviews, this is not the best receiver for the price.

I would HIGHLY recommend listening to Marantz, Denon, Onkyo first.

Welcome to the forum.

3. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

I own the DA5ES and in my opinion it is one of, if not THE best receiver under a grand (it can be had for less than 1K

from an authorized dealer, Oade Bros).............

Excellent build quality

5 year ES warranty

geo

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

After going in circles for 7 days on info. Yes! the 5es has what you need. SVHS minor video pass problem.

But it has all the bells and whistles.

denon 3802

onkyo 898

Just what you want! All three should be ok at $750-$1100.