What's new

Still looking for realiable feedback/review on Sony DA5ES (1 Viewer)

Michael_T

Second Unit
Awhile back there was a thread regarding the Sony DA5ES, and I posted in that thread a question regarding any reliable reviews/feedback on the receiver - but no one seemed to respond as it was a pretty full thread by the time I posted.

I currently have an Integra 6.2, and both a DVD-Audio player and multichannel SACD player. It requires me changing cables to listen to one or the other in surround sound. (I do not like the idea of hooking up inexpensive switch boxes from Radio Shack to do the switching.) I know the DA5ES has two analog multichannel inputs with analog bypass - so for this reason it would be a great fit for my current set-up.

The issue is I love the sound quality and functionality of the Integra 6.2 - and I do not want to give this up for something that might not be as good.

Just in case anyone needs to know to give me a good recommendation on this Sony ES receiver - I have NHT 2.5i for the mains, NHT Audiocenter 2 for the center, NHT 1.5 for the surrounds, and a Paradigm PDR-10 powered sub.

Anybody have a review of this Sony DA5ES? I saw the unit in the store and it sure is built nicely - and I lifted it (and it was mighty heavy).

Let me know what you think.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the DA5ES in my system for about a week now.

I also previously owned the Onkyo 696 which is

essentially the same as the Integra 6.2. I really liked the 696, especially it's functionality, which I believe is where the 696 ends it's advantages over the DA5ES. Functionality could be better on the DA5ES, or at least easier to figure out.

In every other category the DA5ES is, IMO, easily the best $1,000 receiver on the market at this time. While it list for $1,500, it can be had for $1,000 from an authorized dealer with full 5 year ES warranty.

Top notch build quality, excellent sound quality with both movies and it's analog bypasses (both multi and 2ch).

Maybe the best bass management of any receiver.

All the latest formants, including DPLII, DTS-ES.........

Regards,

geo

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Maybe the best bass management of any receiver.
Geo,

Any bass management on the multichannel inputs? Also, can you turn the sub on in the Analog Direct mode and use the adjustable crossover for the sub only.

Michael,

The sound of my Sony V444es on music was more to my liking than the Onkyo 696 that I had for a month. I would expect the DA5es to be improved considering the more capable power supply.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Geo,

How do you like the ICBM?

I have the 222es's bigger brother the SCD-C555es. Both players have 120Hz crossover which only works on SACDs to boot.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
Gil,

I really like the ICBM. It has made a huge difference with DVD Audio. It was easy to setup and incorporate into my system. Low bass is now where it should be, in my subwoofer.......

I only wish the ICBM had two sets of switchable inputs.

Regards,

geo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks