What's new

Sony Bravia - ever see this issue on an LED TV? (1 Viewer)

Stratguy

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I have a Bravia 85" that I suppose is about a year & a half old, maybe 2. Low mileage compared to many I'm guessing. Just yesterday I noticed this weird pattern, which I assumed was an imperfection of the broadcast I was watching. Later I switched to my OPPO UHD player and the same circular pattern was there against the menu screen. Below is a phone-pic through Apple TV. It's there with Dolby Vision active, without Dolby Vision, I unplugged the TV for a while just to see....no change. As bad as this looks, it almost unperceptible while watching stuff although I assume ice hocky would be awful. Of course ow that I know it';s there I'm always looking for it. Ever seen it? Any ideas as to the cause?

Thanks much!

tvissue_2000.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My only guess is they look a little like fingerprints. I wonder if the screen was grabbed and damaged while the TV was being unboxed.

Stratguy

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
My only guess is they look a little like fingerprints. I wonder if the screen was grabbed and damaged while the TV was being unboxed.

For context those circles are about as big as softballs. Form a circle with your thumbs and first fingers. Give or take. (again this is a new issue, TV is a year and a half old)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm only speculating, but it could be possible that some of the LEDs in the local dimming zones are being driven at a slightly lower luminance than the rest. It could be a developing issue with a board.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For context those circles are about as big as softballs. Form a circle with your thumbs and first fingers. Give or take. (again this is a new issue, TV is a year and a half old)
Well, then it's probably not fingers. I'd definitely pursue a warranty claim.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Just looked at my receipt and it was bought from Costco in Feb of 2022. Thankfully it came with a 5-year Allstate full-protection plan.
Actually, it should be under the 2nd year Costco Concierge warranty, so you shouldn't have to go through Allstate yet. I would contact Costco Concierge first.

Stratguy

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Actually, it should be under the 2nd year Costco Concierge warranty, so you shouldn't have to go through Allstate yet. I would contact Costco Concierge first.
I called Costco warranty service, and they got all the specifics then handed me off to Sony who of course had to gather all the same info as Costco, then had me take multiple pictures of the issue and load them to a website where they will 'review the photos'. If Sony comes back & says; "Well, yeah, if you're looking at a static single color screen it looks scary, but while watching a movie I'm sure it's barely noticeable." Then it will get ugly! Of course in my experience Costco has always been a tremendous lawyer in my defense. They made HP replace a laptop I bought there after HP refused when I called them direct.

Stratguy

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
On hold w/ Sony who have rejected my warranty claim after seeing pictures including the one above, stating that dust is causing the problem and it's not covered. I need a better explanation than that! Of course if I go in and clean said 'dust', the 5-year warranty will be void.

edit to add: "Sorry, there's nothing we can do for you." was their answer. I told them there WAS something that I could do, and that's leave scorched-earth reviews of their service on-line. "I understand, Sir." was the response to that. I expect when the Sony warranty expires in 6 mos and the Costco 3-year kicks in, Costco will be more accommodating.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks