What's new

Sony 715p - Bad Luck (1 Viewer)

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
My first post.

I am not really a videophile though I have been on the fringes since the late 70's. I even owned the Sony "talking" Betamax, among about a dozen others!

I was in the market for a second DVD player. After reading the reviews here for the 715p I decided I could probably live with the chroma problems since I am a fairly dedicated Sony fan.

I brought the unit home Sunday night, hooked it up to my 945 receiver and put on The Net. About three quarters of the way through the picture went dead, the display on the player went dead (!) and the power light turned from green to red (standby). Yikes, I thought. I tried several attempts at powering back on. The light would change from red to green for a second but the display would not come on. After sitting for 5 or 10 minutes the whoole thing powered up fine. I was very suspicious to say the least. In the end it did this aboout 5 times over the next half hour. I decided that was enough, unhooked it and packed it up, returned it Monday morning. I figure it must have a short or some kind of faulty temp/humidity sensor.

In short, I guess I will have to wait for the next gen of low priced progressive players from Sony since this one is so new.

Very dissapointing.

Fr. John

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Wecome to the Madhouse.
I'm assuming you didn't have the 715 sitting on top of the 945?:frowning: Why not simply get another 715 and try again?

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

Thank you.

Well.........

Close but not really. I have a VCR on the 945 (propped up several inches though, and the 715 was on the VCR. Though I realize the 945 puts out a lot of heat, too much really, I don't think it was heating up the 715 through the VCR (which was off). I did check the 715 for heat when I removed it, not even warm.

My older 330 has never done this and it is in the same position.

Nice thought though.

Fr. John

JackS

Supporting Actor
My guess is that a neighbor is operating an IR device that is triggering the player off. This has happened to me about 3-4 times in the last 2 years. This is the only explaination I can come up with since the problem is so rare and random.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have had good luck with most of my Sony gear, but you never know. I don't think it means anything specific regarding Sony products, just a random event. It happens with all manufacturers.
Don't limit yourself to Sony, there are plenty of good manufacturers out there. :D

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Father John,

If you don't mind my asking, which Order?

And as to the DVD player...John is quite right. Don't lock yourself into one brand unless you need/want to for system integration. And if that is the case, why not grab one of the 500's or 700's on closeout? Or try another 715. It seems as if you've written it off.

Paul
(HT Prodigal in Development)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I'm curious too as to why you didn't want to try another 715. I have a friend who has had the earlier 700 version and has been very pleased with his.

I just brought home a 715 to replace my 2nd generation Pioneer 414 and so far, the 715 is just great!

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Greek Orthodox.

Actually the problem with this player was simply an impetus to return it since in the end I really didn't like the silver color. Petty I realize, but reason enough for me to wait.

I had considered another series. I may yet do that.

As for brand, well I have the 945 recv'r which came with Sony's 2 way LCD remote. It is multi brand but seems to work better with Sony equip. (though I really dislike the 2 way feature, it slows response. I had an 845 which came with essentially the same remote sans the 2 way and it was much quicker). I am also partial to Sony's menu's.

Fr. John

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I completely understand the silver "thing". It and the lack of true 96kHz/24bit 2 channel digital output are the only negatives I have. Otherwise, it is amazing what it can do for the $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks