What's new

Sony 4ES power rating (1 Viewer)

RichardMA

Second Unit
So, according to Sound and Vision and Sony, the power
rating on this receiver is only something like
120watts, then six channels of around 20 watts each.
This is no surprise and I think other mfgs' should come
out and admit their receivers only produce a fraction of
their so called WPC when all channels are driven.
You can't violate the laws of physics and 200-300lb receivers (the weight TRUE power amps would be to produce
a clean 100+ wpc) are not in the cards.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Where do you get the 20W/Ch with 6 channels driven from? I doubt the rail voltages would sag that much.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
There are certainly receivers capable of outputting 100 Watts or more, all channels driven, and none weigh 300lbs.

Adam

RichardMA

Second Unit
The engineering spec is for full power from one
channel and 1/8th from the rest. According to
Sony.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
That may be Richard, but the DA3ES was tested to put out it's rated power all channels driven.

Seth

Ted Ross

Second Unit
see this previous post
As I mentioned I remember the Hometheatermag's review of the da3es so that makes the S&V decision to not post the all channels driven results very confusing-if it can perform like the da3es then sony shouldn't be ashamed of the test results

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The engineering spec is for full power from one channel and 1/8th from the rest. According to Sony.
That means the measurement was made that way for the multichannel power rating to see the highest power output for A SINGLE channel when the others are loaded at 1/8th (just need to make the load resistance 8x = 64ohms for these other channels). This does not indicate the power output for all channels loaded equally since it is almost certain that the rail voltage not the power supply capacity is limiting the output with this sort of load.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
The engineering spec is for full power from one
channel and 1/8th from the rest. According to
Sony.
This is such nonsense. Do you own a Sony STR-DA4ES? Or, are you just trying to play "armchair quarterback?"

In other threads, the 555ES (which I believe is the UK equivalent to the STR-DA4ES) put out quite good numbers when tested for power. At this point in time, I haven't read the article yet because the latest issue of S&V hasn't hit the shelves in my area yet.

Simply put, the STR-DA4ES is the best receiver buy of the year for $619 - shipped. Or, if you prefer H/K gear, the 520 for $489 a week ago was the best deal on a H/K receiver for the year. Or, if you like Pioneer, then the 811S for $299 @ Best Buy is one great deal also.

alan_dana

Agent
My read of the S&V review is that the DA4ES has a fairly respectable amp for it's price class. I wish they had gone ahead and given it at least a 5 channel test. The measurements into 1 and 2 channels were quiet good. Into 8 ohms it produced 171W into 1 channel and 140W into 2 channels.

This is much better than several other 100wpc type multichannel receivers for 1 or 2 channels.

It also had excellent noise measurements in surround sound mode.

While I don't doubt that it would fall short of producing 110 watts into all 7 channels simultaneously, there is absolutely no reason to believe it is limited to a maximum of 20 watts in all other channels when one channel is producing 110.

Alan

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Why would S&V not post the test results? The "all channels driven" results must have been really low :frowning:

Ted Ross

Second Unit
sony probably told them they didn't want it published

Probably because the results were dismal. About a year ago S&V published the results of the Sony db1070 & it had a dismal showing(31w x 6), so I dont believe the "we cant do the all channels test" excuse. Dont get me wrong, Im not a Sony basher(I used to own the da5es & loved it)-just surprised at S&V not publishing the results(inquiring minds want to know!).

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
I've seen other tests (on the DB1070) that makes that S&V test result questionable.

If Sony did ask S&V not to do an all channel test, then they have shot themselves in the foot with all the conjecture this is causing.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I remember S&V once tested three sub 1K receivers, a Denon, Pio and Sony. They were rated at 90x6 for the Denon, 100x6 for the Pio and I think it was 100x6 for the Sony too. I remember that the Denon and the Pio tested out the same at around 60Wx6 but the Sony tested out at some low number like 30Wx6. I know S&V tests at 1Khz at so the real world output for the full spectrum would be even lower. I can't find the article in their archives. Probably someone will be able to dig up the article and post it here.

My 2 cents.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Yogi,

that test was done with a non ES receiver.

Ted,

I also use to own the 5ES, what receiver do you have now?

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
You mean the Sony was outputting into 4 ohms? If thats the case the 8 Ohm output will be even lower.
That is not so, Yogi.
Sony receivers have a 4/8 ohm switch to allow the receiver to safely handle 4 ohm loads without overheating. When in 4 ohm mode, the receiver selects a different set of output taps from the main transformer, with a lower voltage. This significantly reduces the heat that is produced in the receiver, but also restricts the output power. Typically, Sony receivers are rated to deliver about 80 to 90% of their rated 8 ohm power (8 ohm mode, 8 ohm load) into 4 ohms (4 ohm mode, 4 ohm load). If the user sets the receiver into 4 ohm mode and uses 8 ohm speakers, the output power will be about half of the 4 ohm rated power!Sony does not use 4 ohm resistors in series with the speakers as some other manufacturers do. In this case, the power output into a 4 ohm load (in 4 ohm mode) would be half of the power into 8 ohms (in 8 ohm mode).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks