What's new

sonosub hole cutting question (1 Viewer)

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
I've looked at all the links and am unclear which method is easier. Do I glue the endcaps first then cut the driver hole out, or cut a driver hole out of both pieces of the endcap first, then glue them together? Gluing them together first assures they line up, but cutting 1.5 inches of MDF seems like it will be tough regardless of what tool I use (router, jigsaw, etc).

Thanks for the help.

Frank

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Easier? Depends.

I think if I'd had a router, I would have glued the pieces together first and then cut the MDF in multiple passes.

I didn't have a router, so I cut all of my pieces separately (with a jigsaw) and then glued them together under strict supervision. Turned out fine.

It's like my Mom says, "It's ten of one; half-dozen of the other." :)

JKS

JoelTW

Stunt Coordinator
I cut mine seperately with a router. I just finished gluing both endcaps to the tube and I forgot to install t-nuts heh

hmm :D this should be fun getting it to work

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
I glued mine then cut through 1.5" of MDF with the plunge router even though I do not have 1.5" of plunge depth. I just drilled the center pin hole all the way through, and routed as deep as I could go from one side (using multiple passes), then flipped the cap upside down and finished the hole from the other side.

If you forgot to install your T-nuts but the cap is already glued into the tube, you can use a big 3" C-clamp to squeeze them into the holes you've drilled. Or, you can use "threaded inserts" which are probably going to hold better than T-nuts anyway. Threaded inserts go in from the FRONT of the panel, so no C-clamp or other trickery is required.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks