What's new

infinite baffle questions (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I tried to search but could not find anything. I've been looking through every DIY sub page I can find and came across two who were infinite baffle designs. One of the main requirements seems to be that you need a attic or basement room above/below the theater. What the web sites did not mention is do you need to have a hole in the ceiling/floor? I have an unused, unfinished room under the theater but am not willing to cut a hole in the hardwood.
How would an infinite baffle sub compare to a sonosub? I saw one online that used twelve speakers but am not likely to use that many. I saw one online (Adire Audio's DIY page) that uses only two. That's more like my budget. For now.
jeremy

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Hi
Well I have both the 12 Shiva IB and a 4 Shiva IB.
IMO the sound from IB subs is the best there is. Big sealed tubes made to a Qtc 0.5 are close, but not quite as good.
I'd suggest using 2 Tempests instead of 2 Shiva's. Not much more money, but a lot more displacement.
Yes you'd need to cut a hole either in the floor or the ceiling

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
the two tempest IB on adires site is mine, and i wouldnt trade it for a tube.
"the hole" is the one downside to the IB concept. the space dosnt need to be an attic or basement, just some space ajoining the listening room. how big the space is, is determined by the type and number of drivers you use. so if your set on not cutting the floor (i'd cut the floor, its worth it :) ), maby a closet or other room off the listening room.
heres an IB faq:
http://klone-audio.virtualave.net/page101.html
------------------
'Till next time,
Rich (the kite guy)
My DIY audio page!
Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks :)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the faq. It sounds great but I am not going to cut a hole in the beautiful 1932 hardwood in the theater. There is no closet or other available space, so the IB is out I guess.
jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks