What's new

Building a new house, soon ready for drywall and need help (1 Viewer)

Mark--M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

Im building a new house and want to wire everything properly before we put the drywall on and I have some questions. House will have a home theater system in the great room, master bedroom and possibly a dedicated home theater room in the basement down the road.

1. Should I go 5.1 or 7.1 in the great room? I always through 5.1 was enough but the room will extend back way beyond where your sitting so maybe with the extra room the 7.1 would be worth it? Any suggestions?

2. Are in ceiling speakers ok for surrounds? Does the fact that they point down really mess up the sound or are they ok? Any reccomendations on a medium budget?

3. Are there any decent in ceiling subwoofers out there? I guess a lot of people here are going to suggest an infinite baffle but I would prefer something sealed. Im currently using a 15" ascendant audio avalance (these were highly recommended on here about 10 years ago) in a 3-4ft sealed box. Im considering mounting it between trusses and just making an outlet in the ceiling. Any thoughts? The wife wants to loose the big box in the living room so I have to do something.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
7.1. I prewired for 5.1 and am bummed I gotta fish more for 7.1. Always easier preconstruction. Might be need for even more speakers down the road too, but 7.1 is available on disks today.

You won't find much recommendation for in ceiling speakers for theaters at HTF. I have in ceiling in my whole home audio and its good for what it is but I would NEVER use them for TV or movies.

I'm not a fan of hidden subs, YMMV/.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I would also say wire for 7.1. Even if you don't use it it is cheap to do. Also leave enough wire so in case at some point in the future you move things around, you have enough cable to reach

Lewis Brazil

Auditioning
I building a house as well. I plan on doing a very similar set up as you other than a surround in the master. I am going to wire for 7.1 in the great room and basement. I plan on installing the 7.1 in the great room and 5.1 in the basement. I had been doing quite a bit of reading on how best to do a theater system that is hidden. Right now I plan on using in ceiling speakers for the back 2 and side 2 in a 7.1 that have a directional tweeter. I was going to do the L and R in the ceiling but now I am probably going to put those in the wall on each side of the TV. I am also going to build a box and insulate to try and keep the sound from transferring to adjoining room. There is a sub that I think will work http://www.htd.com/Products/powered-subwoofers/HD-In-Wall-Subwoofer-with-amp , I plan on installing this in an out side wall, with 2X6 walls I should have enough room. I was going to install some 18 inch X 36 inch 3 way speaker in the attic between the rafters for the L and R similar to what you planned with your sub box. I have since reconsidered that option. I the basement I plan to hide most of the speaker as well. I will have walls closer so I plan on using a combination of wall and ceiling. I am also toying with idea of installing all components in a remote location. My only reservation is how long can you go with an HDMI cable and can you make an HDMI cable to length like you can with a cat 5 cable. Good luck

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You have the Avalanche so use it. I wish I had gotten one on the closeout sale but only picked up a pair of 12" Atlas drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks