What's new

SONIC YOUTH MURRAY STREET Can anyone recommend this disc? (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I'm a big Sonic Youth fan and was wondering if anyone has gotten this disc? I will probably buy this when it's released but maybe someone has gotten an advanced copy and can comment on it.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I own pretty much all Sonic Youth's material. Including some of the Sonic Death (Fan Club) stuff that would be considered collector. I have honestly been disappointed since Washing Machine , for which was an equally awesome tour.
I have only read that it's more song oriented, which to me is okay as long as Lee and Thurston maintain that "wall of sound" that they are famous for. They haven't been terribly unsuccessful with this "song" style think Catholic Block, Schizophrenia, Kool Thing, The Diamond Sea , I'm so committed to them though I will be there for Murray Street which I should get my copy anyday.
I'd be interested in other SY fans reviews on the new release or even others.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
My copy is on the way too.

I saw *somewhere* that the 1st 3 or 4 tracks were supposed to be their strongest in years. More of a typical "rock" song structure, and less of the "linear" stuff they've been doing lately.

I agree: Love 'Em, but the CDs themselves have been kind of weak since "Jet Set".

I got to see them on the 1990 tour. Guess who opened? Nirvana. Halloween in San Francisco.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Got it! I think, their best in a while. Not Goo/Dirty/Sister/Daydream Nation, etc, but the best since.

Hey, anyone know if the Geffen resissues in 1995 were just reissues, or remastered as well?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I believe they were remasters. I bought the Geffen "Evol" and to my ears it sounded better than the SST version.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I don't think these are re-mastered. I have all the Geffen releases, I will check when I get home. I don't remember it saying remastered on any of the disc. Also, due to the years these were released it seems unlikely. I'll check but I think the only remastered was the early "Bad Moon Rising"
Like I said, I'll check tonight.
Kevin: I personally thought Washing Machine was great.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I like Sonic Youth, but I'm not a huge fan. Going to see them in Dallas on August 1 (my first time to see them)--do I need to buy (or at least have listened to) Murray Street to really get the most out of their current live show? I'm not keeping up with their current set lists or anything like that.

Latest album I've got is Washing Machine, and I've also got Daydream Nation and Experimental Jet Set. I've been listening to them a lot lately to get ready for the show, but for all I know, they're probably playing everything off the new album, and not much else.

Thanks!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Zen- based on your advice, I went back and listened to Washing Machine. Better than I remembered! :)
I think for a while there, I was *too* intent on comparing everything they did after Daydream Nation/Goo/Dirty, to those 3 discs. The later stuff is certainly different, but maybe no less "interesting" than those 3...

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I've always had Goo and Dirty on my "to get" list, but have just never got around to it. Now that Dirty is being re-mastered and expanded, I'll probably pick that up. Hopefully, they'll do the same for Goo someday.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Dirty, Goo (1990) and Daydream Nation (1988) will be issued before summer by Universal with all of the original tracks remastered, along with previously unheard demos, live cuts and B-sides, the band's publicist said.
Now, I just checked Pause and Play, and although the remastered Dirty has been on their list for months (even with a release date of September 3), its not there now.
So I don't know if this remaster has been just temporarily shelved, or canned altogether. I tend to think that we'll see it at some point in the near future. Hopefully, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks