What's new

Song of the South LD (1 Viewer)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Two questions regarding this:

Were there only 2 LD releases for this? (Japan with subs during songs, and Hong Kong with no subs)

Would one of the new Pioneer players with LD-G be able to remove the subs from the Japan pressing?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
There might be a chance SOTS will be on DVD this or next year. No real rumors except that Scott MacQueen recently finished restoring the film.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Patrick, I hadn't heard that! Do you have any other info about this? I really can't see this coming to R1, Disney surveys and HTF petitions be damned. Tho' it'd be nice to see...
You gathered from my post that I've been tinkering with the idea of obtaining the laser. I CAN"T HELP IT!! I see them on ebay...they taunt me...:frowning: ...:D

Richard Waller

Second Unit
I can only hope this arrives on DVD sometime soon. I recently won a copy of SotS on laserdisc from eBay. I received my package today and the disc was cracked in half. :frowning:
Only 28 miles separated the seller and I, but it still couldn't arrive safely. Of course, it didn't help that they packaged it in a bubble envelope. :angry:
I had the package insured, so now I get to start the fun process of filing a claim with the USPS.
Somewhere, Michael Eisner's probably smiling quietly to himself as another copy of this film is gone...

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Richard: 28 miles? I would have picked it up. Hopefully, your insurance claim goes well. LD sellers who use unreinforced bubble mailers ought to be hung for all to see! All cracked LD's I've received were packed in bubble mailers.

There were actually two Japanese releases of this title. The first was analog sound only, the second included a digital track. Be certain to get the later.

I own one of the latest Japanese players (LD-S9) and no, it won't remove the subtitles.

Richard Waller

Second Unit
Of the 50 or 60 laserdiscs I own, this was the first to be shipped in a bubble envelope. The seller either thought the close proximity was a safe bet to use this type of mailer, or they were just plain dumb.

Chuck Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know what became of the survey that disney was conducting on this title a few months ago? I only saw this baby on LD once and that was in a Camelot music in a nearby mall about 7 years ago but they wanted like $125 for it. Seemed odd that the only import laserdisc they had was this one. I couldn't afford it back then but sure was tempted to max out the credit card for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks