What's new

Something New - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought this was a film that earned most of its emotional/romantic payoff based primarily on the chemistry between Sanaa Latham (Kenya) and Simon Baker (Bryan). Uptight Kenya is a successful senior level financial manager on the verge of making partner at her firm (but she perceives that being black forces her to work twice as hard to earn her keep, and Bryan is a landscape architect who happens to be white. They initially meet on a blind coffee date, but Kenya just isn't open to the idea of dating a non-black man, but they cross paths later, and Bryan sort of wears down her defenses. While being a little predictable, it's still a nice romantic movie if you're in the mood for such fare.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Janna S

Second Unit
I got a kick out of this movie. It's a throwaway, but fun. Lots of flaws and weaknesses, but who cares?

And I gotta say . . . the scene with the nail polish had every woman in the theater going "Oh my . . . . " It even had me fluttering a little, and I am the least girly-girl (no makeup, no glitter, no ruffles in my wardrobe) you'll ever meet. And it had every guy, including mine, going, "WTF?"

Let this be a lesson to you guys . . . what you think is seductive and sexy may be far off from what would really work!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Definitely worth seeing for Lathan and Baker, and it has some other fun bits too: including Kenya's brother, with his Ferrari and his endless string of disposable girlfriends; and Kenya's parents, especially Alfre Woodard as the future mother-in-law-from-hell. :laugh:

M.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Ya know, the trailers looked pretty bad. They focused on the stereotypes. I had no intention of seeing this, then the good reviews came out. So, today I went and saw it.

I thought it was wonderful. The chemistry between Lathan and Baker is fantastic, and the overall story is a lot better and genuine feeling than I could have expected. Plus, Donald Faison is a funny guy, and this is probably the best work Mike Epps has done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks