What's new

Something interesting I noticed about PARTY of FIVE (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I got season two on its release yesterday. The interesting thing I noticed was that...all of the season one sets had sold out! I was there just the other day and they had at least 4 or 5 sets. Gone. So this validates our theory that new releases support old releases. Those Po5 #1s have been sitting there for a year and now they're gone, because people realized Sony is more serious about that show. Therefore, the customers are more confident buying Po5 knowing that it's being supported by the studio. I wish we could look at sales figures and find out how many season ones were sold yesterday; it'd be very very interesting to find out. I have no doubt the same logic would apply to Happy Days or any of a number of holdouts that are stuck at season one alone.

Joe Barclay

Auditioning
I was at Best Buy on Tuesday and all of the Season 1 sets had sold out there also. I remember them having about five copies the week before.

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator
They shouldn't have expected to get a really accurate log of how well PO5 would sell until they released Season 2, because, of course, it's when Jennifer Love Hewitt joined the show...

MattHR

Screenwriter
Or...they simply pulled the non-selling stock to make room for the new releases. Every week, BB pulls over-stock to make room for that week's new titles. Most of what gets pulled is returned to the vendors.

Nowadays, about 75% of a title's entire sales history occurs during the week of its release. If it's still sitting on a retailer's shelf a year later, it's pretty much considered a dust collector. Most retailers won't keep inventory on hand that long, unless it's an "evergreen" title (one that sells continually). The rest become special-orders or internet sales. Price reductions or re-promotions (tied to the new season's release) can help previous season's sales (like the recent $19.99 "Friends" promo, for example).

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

actually, Matthew Fox probably is a bigger star and name than JLH is these days because of "Lost" (for Fox it's a huge comeback, for Hewitt being on a TV show is a huge step down considering she was gearing herself to be a film star). When season 1 came out on DVD, Lost was a few months away so the name "Matthew Fox" really didn't mean anything then except for fans of the short-lived Haunted (which they should milk his popularity to release that), now with season 2's DVD release, he's considered a sex symbol as well as the leading star of one of TV's biggest shows.

Same thing happened to a lesser extent to Once And Again, the show FLOPPED on DVD upon first release in 2002.... but in the time between, Tate Donovan became a part of The OC and Shane West became a doctor on ER so using those two really gave it a boost, and season 2 did infinately better when Buena Vista decided to give it a second chance.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well Love did junk like "Garfield: the Movie" and that certainly doesn't help her dumb film "career." Isn't she the Ghost Whisperer now? At least that's a step up.

If Best Buy pulled all the season one sets of Po5 off the shelves to make room for season two, then I guess they are very stupid people. If they did, it invalidates my theory that somebody actually bought the season ones, true. But from my high school economics education, I'd say to leave them there, at least the first week, because the release of season two would help clear out all the season ones still sitting there. I wonder which is really true, if they sold, or if they were pulled?

BrandonJF

Second Unit

You can go to BestBuy.com bring up the S1 set, then check for store availability. If it shows it as being available, they moved 'em to the back to make room for the new stuff.

That's how I'll at least confirm that something is there before I go even if it's not on the shelf. It has always matched their in-store inventory when someone checks at the store. That's when they head on to the back and retrieve it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Any store that is run properly keeps as little product as possible in their backrooms. The only things in the back will be overstock items that they already have a ton of on the floor (like Star Wars or Batman Begins) or items that they haven't had a chance to get to the shelves yet. If it's in the backroom, it isn't going to sell.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread about how Neve Campbell rolls her eyes and looks over her shoulder before uttering every line of dialogue.:D

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if I'd agree that Matthew Fox is a bigger name these days than J Love, because, well, almost everybody's heard of Jennifer Love Hewitt somehow, even if they never watched PO5, or listened to her music, or watch Ghost Whisperer, etc, and add to that, there's a lot of people that like her, and not necessarily because of the shows shes in/was in, and they just plain like her period... get what I mean? (I couldn't find better words to say that.) I mean, yes, Matthew Fox is in Lost now, which is a pretty big show, but his name could only be considered "big" now because of Lost, while J Love's name and star-power have stayed pretty consistent no matter what she has done or not done. And it seems to me that Lost is one of those shows anyways that people either love and watch, or just plain hate and pay no attention to, so I think it's only really fans of that show that consider him a big name anyways. Most of the time, you'd probably have to say "Matthew Fox from Lost" to make his name sound big, while for J Love you could just say "Jennifer Love Hewitt" and it would still have the same effect...

If there was somehow a poll of the general public of whether people recognize J Love's name or Matthew Fox's name, then I can almost guarantee people are going to know J Love more. And besides, she single-handedly carries Ghost Whisperer as far as star-power goes, and there were a ton of people I know that checked out GW just because J Love was in it... I'm not too sure people started watching Lost just because Matthew Fox was in it. I'd say J Love probably has a bigger fanbase, and one that was consistent even after P05 ended.

And actually, what I meant by my comment was that... the seasons with J Love in them are considered to be the "really good" seasons of P05 by most fans, with the 1st and the last seasons being considered a bit weaker.

So I guess what I'm saying is I still believe the J Love seasons would sell more (and hopefully cause people to then buy Season 1... maybe...) because she's part of the show, she's more popular, and is definitely the biggest star to come out of P05 without a doubt...

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Neve Campbell could've been a bigger name than Jennifer Love Hewitt but she really seemed to do a vanishing act after Scream 3 and the end of PO5 (which were around the same time)

MichaelFA

Stunt Coordinator
Has Neve Campbell even done ANYTHING since P05 ended?

And if she isn't busy doing any projects or anything, I wonder why she hasn't done any commentary for either of the P05 sets... Maybe she is trying to completely take herself out of the limelight?

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
Neve has done a few movies since PO5 ended.
Investigating Sex
some tv movies
the company.
when will I be loved (the indie movie mentioned above)

and according to imdb.com
she has like 5 movies coming out soon

Adina (2006) (pre-production) .... Adina
The Death of Harry Tobin (2006) (pre-production)
The Mermaids Singing (2006) (pre-production) .... Grace
A Private War (2005) (pre-production)
Relative Strangers (2006) (completed) .... Ellen Minola

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Maybe Neve took some time off to have a baby or something. 5 movies in production is a hell of a lot of work!

Love doesn't look too attractive on the cover of season 2. Yuck! It's not that flattering of a picture, all 'round. And when you open it, there's this sleeve with a pic of Lacey Chabert. Except that--there's a little booklet insert with Love's face on it...the booklet is in the sleeve so you open the box and see Lacey's chin and Love's nose and eyes on top of that. Wow! Weird! But at least they didn't put Matthew Fox on the cover of the book; that'd be ultra-weird looking...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks