What's new

Some new Monster gear for my system (1 Viewer)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Because I get phenomenal discounts through Monster (that brings their prices more down to earth, especially here in Canada), please pardon my Monster Cable "Tunnel Vision"...

I purchased an H/K AVR225 and the Energy Take 5.2s around Christmas time last year, but I ran out of money for accessories...I'm using 12G Home Depot speaker wire, a nice 5 dollar surge protector powerbar, a Monster Standard THX Fibre Optic and a subwoofer cable from the same line.

This is what I'm looking at getting:

- Monster Power 1100
- M Series Silver Digital M1000D (Digital Coax for the DVD player, the FO would go to the 300 disc Sony changer I'm also looking at)
- Z1 Affordable Audiophile Speaker Cable (Front LCR)
- Good ol regular XPHP for the surrounds
- THX Ultra 1000 Component

A co-worker told me a new subwoofer cable cable won't make any difference...

Anyone have any comments on this stuff? I'm something of a newbie (and I hope it doesn't show...that much)

Thanks...

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
a nice 5 dollar surge protector powerbar

It's fine to update your wiring and cables all around with a retail discount. Maybe you could change the speakers first and listen for a week, then the DVDp etc in a non-scientific test of any subtle changes.

But for the money, if the above quote isnt a typo, a $5 plug-in is nothing more than that, a cheapie. Look at the Monster PowerBar 1100 for under $200 for a hefty surge protector and room for equipment growth.:emoji_thumbsup:

bill

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The "nice" was meant somewhat sarcastically...it's one of those el-cheapo surge protectors you find at the hardware store...

I wish I could find a pair of these Z1s to try...the retail chains here don't carry them, and my deal with Monster stipulates no returns, and I can't resell them until a year has passed...

I'm just really wondering if spending the money will be justified in terms of a real performance increase...

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Drew, why not get the Monster 3500 instead, since you get a discount? Also, I have over 50 feet of Z1 cable sitting on a roll. Send me a PM, and we'll work something out. Hardest part will be shipping.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
How's about a better cheapo surge protector with pretty good specs...better like under $20 at Sam's Club or a little over that at Directron.com. Do a search in Tweaks for the name Stratitec. Don't know if there's a Sam's Club in Canada but if you contact Stratitec, I'm sure they can direct you to local distributors in your general area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks