Some new Monster gear for my system

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Drew_W, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Because I get phenomenal discounts through Monster (that brings their prices more down to earth, especially here in Canada), please pardon my Monster Cable "Tunnel Vision"...

I purchased an H/K AVR225 and the Energy Take 5.2s around Christmas time last year, but I ran out of money for accessories...I'm using 12G Home Depot speaker wire, a nice 5 dollar surge protector powerbar, a Monster Standard THX Fibre Optic and a subwoofer cable from the same line.

This is what I'm looking at getting:

- Monster Power 1100
    - M Series Silver Digital M1000D (Digital Coax for the DVD player, the FO would go to the 300 disc Sony changer I'm also looking at)
    - Z1 Affordable Audiophile Speaker Cable (Front LCR)
    - Good ol regular XPHP for the surrounds
    - THX Ultra 1000 Component

A co-worker told me a new subwoofer cable cable won't make any difference...

Anyone have any comments on this stuff? I'm something of a newbie (and I hope it doesn't show...that much)

Thanks...

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

a nice 5 dollar surge protector powerbar

It's fine to update your wiring and cables all around with a retail discount. Maybe you could change the speakers first and listen for a week, then the DVDp etc in a non-scientific test of any subtle changes.

But for the money, if the above quote isnt a typo, a $5 plug-in is nothing more than that, a cheapie. Look at the Monster PowerBar 1100 for under $200 for a hefty surge protector and room for equipment growth.[​IMG]

bill

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The "nice" was meant somewhat sarcastically...it's one of those el-cheapo surge protectors you find at the hardware store...

I wish I could find a pair of these Z1s to try...the retail chains here don't carry them, and my deal with Monster stipulates no returns, and I can't resell them until a year has passed...

I'm just really wondering if spending the money will be justified in terms of a real performance increase...

4. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    Drew, why not get the Monster 3500 instead, since you get a discount? Also, I have over 50 feet of Z1 cable sitting on a roll. Send me a PM, and we'll work something out. Hardest part will be shipping.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

How's about a better cheapo surge protector with pretty good specs...better like under $20 at Sam's Club or a little over that at Directron.com. Do a search in Tweaks for the name Stratitec. Don't know if there's a Sam's Club in Canada but if you contact Stratitec, I'm sure they can direct you to local distributors in your general area.