Chris Caine
are both editions 'cold'?

or is either worth picking up?

thanks

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I wish I could provide some input, as an owner of this DVD, but unfortunately I haven't the foggiest clue what you are asking. :confused:

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
hey rain,

I read a while back on release, that (both) editions looked horrible, being non-anamorphic or something.

is that true, or should I pick up either edition up?

I prefer the SE cover.

thanks

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Both discs have the same transfer of the film

Personally, I never thought it looked all that bad and I've watched it twice. Granted, I've seen better.

Considering how cheap the DVD is, I have no regrets about my purchase.

Hope that helps.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's not anamorphic, but it's not in the least a bad video/audio transfer.

The AR is a little under 1.66:1 (looks around 1.60:1 on my DVD-ROM), so 16x9 wouldn't add a lot of resolution. The print is extremely clean and sharp throughout, but without too much video artifacts. I think one or two scenes had some obvious ringing and one shot had some severe safety film decomposition.

I'd get the special edition since it has a few more extras (the Tony Curtis interview is pretty cool) and a ton of trailers. If you like the movie, get it.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
thanks,

just ordered the SE, to fit in with the rest of my Monroe and MGM classics.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The AR is a little under 1.66:1 (looks around 1.60:1 on my DVD-ROM), so 16x9 wouldn't add a lot of resolution.
However, if you own a 16x9 TV, the 1.66:1 ratio is the absolute worst for displaying as non-anamorphic, IMO. In order to view the film without image distortion or cropping, you are forced to watch an image that is both windowboxed and pillarboxed.

I usually avoid non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfers for the above reason (my Panasonic RP-91 does a great job of scaling 1.85:1 or wider non-anamorphics). However, I do make an exception for truly great films such as Some Like It Hot. Other than the non-anamorphic issue, the transfer looks decent.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
well it's not 'cold'!

smiles, the SE looks good to me, even zoomed.

ps. I just find it very STRANGE to see colour covers of B&W movies. Just doesn't 'look' right.

Time to watch The Apartment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks