What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Some Like it Hot -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those unaware, Some Like it Hot is a comedy from Billy Wilder, released in 1959.

It's always been considered a very good one, and has some decent talent both on and off screen.

Kino's new 4k, is an interesting comparison to the Criterion Blu-ray, as it's presumably derived from the same 4k master.

I had my concerns going in regarding accentuated grain structure, and grain absolutely does come to the fore. It should be understood that viewing something in 4k derived from the original negative, that does not at least begin with a finely grained source is a bit akin to an unnatural act - a bit like breeding a buffalo with a chicken.

No one was ever supposed to see a negative projected, and that's precisely what is occurring - with no dupes to soften the overall structure.

The end result, to my eye, gives us far more tonality than seen on the Criterion vis a vis the gray scale, but at the same time, exacerbates the grain - worst in dupe sequences.

But sit back about ten feet, and the problem disappears, and the overall affect is extremely pleasing, with rich blacks, very clean whites, and an extremely stable image.

Marilyn Monroe is in the film, and many will recall her from All About Eve.

Bottom line.

Does it give a better quality image than the Criterion Blu-ray?

Yes.

From a decent seating distance.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes (but keep the Criterion for the alternate extras)

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

RAH

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'll have to give this another try sometime. I know I've watched it at least once, but did not find it as hilarious as everyone claims it is. Not sure if that's a case of the film being overhyped for me as the greatest comedy ever made before I actually watched it, or if the humor just doesn't land with me.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I'll have to give this another try sometime. I know I've watched it at least once, but did not find it as hilarious as everyone claims it is. Not sure if that's a case of the film being overhyped for me as the greatest comedy ever made before I actually watched it, or if the humor just doesn't land with me.

I've never been able to get into it either, probably because I'm not a fan of Jack Lemmon (same with The Apartment). It's best feature is that George Raft is one of the players.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I find this one to be more subtlety humorous rather than laugh out loud - it’s dark humor about a depressing situation. I appreciate Wilder’s work here but warm and fuzzy it’s not.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've never been able to get into it either, probably because I'm not a fan of Jack Lemmon (same with The Apartment). It's best feature is that George Raft is one of the players.
I'm not sure that's it for me, as I love Jack Lemmon in the Grumpy Old Men films, Odd Couple 2, and My Fellow Americans (which is one of my favorite comedies).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I never thought it was a hilarious and I've been watching the movie since I was about ten years old back in the mid-1960s. With that said, I liked the movie and there are sequences in the movie that is funny to me, but it's never been a barrel of laughs for me.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I never thought it was a hilarious and I've been watching the movie since I was about ten years old back in the mid-1960s. With that said, I liked the movie and there are sequences in the movie that is funny to me, but it's never been a barrel of laughs for me.

I really liked it when I was that age in the 1960's and I think it showed up a few times on the ABC network movie. When I was young then the idea of two men dressed as women seemed really funny. I think the main reason my 10-year old self liked it was Marilyn Monroe's cleavage being constantly on display. These days, I don't find it the movie that interesting or funny. I have the original Blu-ray that came with a Marilyn Monroe Blu-ray bundle and have never felt compelled to get an upgraded version of the film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I really liked it when I was that age in the 1960's and I think it showed up a few times on the ABC network movie. When I was young then the idea of two men dressed as women seemed really funny. I think the main reason my 10-year old self liked it was Marilyn Monroe's cleavage being constantly on display. These days, I don't find it the movie that interesting or funny. I have the original Blu-ray that came with a Marilyn Monroe Blu-ray bundle and have never felt compelled to get an upgraded version of the film.
Well, Monroe's cleavage and behind quarters are still reasons for me watching this movie.:)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
For those unaware, Some Like it Hot is a comedy from Billy Wilder, released in 1959.

It's always been considered a very good one, and has some decent talent both on and off screen.

Kino's new 4k, is an interesting comparison to the Criterion Blu-ray, as it's presumably derived from the same 4k master.

I had my concerns going in regarding accentuated grain structure, and grain absolutely does come to the fore. It should be understood that viewing something in 4k derived from the original negative, that does not at least begin with a finely grained source is a bit akin to an unnatural act - a bit like breeding a buffalo with a chicken.

No one was ever supposed to see a negative projected, and that's precisely what is occurring - with no dupes to soften the overall structure.

The end result, to my eye, gives us far more tonality than seen on the Criterion vis a vis the gray scale, but at the same time, exacerbates the grain - worst in dupe sequences.

But sit back about ten feet, and the problem disappears, and the overall affect is extremely pleasing, with rich blacks, very clean whites, and an extremely stable image.

Marilyn Monroe is in the film, and many will recall her from All About Eve.

Bottom line.

Does it give a better quality image than the Criterion Blu-ray?

Yes.

From a decent seating distance.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes (but keep the Criterion for the alternate extras)

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

RAH
In this instance, would the result have been more pleasing to the eye if they'd harvested from an IP, or would they need to go a couple generations further?

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Great! This bodes well for Kino, good for them for persevering! I expect The Apartment to be just as good.
The Apartment will be curious since the Arrow Blu was deemed particularly excellent, and the gains largely from better grading/contrast. Also don’t think it’s getting HDR. I’m sure it will look great, but no guarantee it will improve on the Arrow.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would venture the former.

No legendary “you gotta see it” ultra - classic that’s on a zillion international Top 100 lists of all time - not to mention standing the test of time - could possibly live up to the burdens of such pressurizing paralysis that were placed upon both the work and its audience.

Again, not the fault of the film; and definitely not the fault of the first-time viewer.

Including “Citizen Kane”, I’ve had my share of films that came with layered expectations, as you may have had with “Some Like it Hot”.

Erase all such said laurels from your mind and simply enjoy it for the ride. I think that’s what the filmmakers initially would’ve wanted for us, as well. Anyway, it’s an approach that’s worked for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks