What's new

So when are these "cheap" DLP RPTVs coming out? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
I keep hearing about how there is so much promise in the DLP technology and how the prices for these sets should be coming down soon. Are there any DLP RPTVs in the works that are going to be cheaper for the consumers to buy? Just curious, I would like to be able to buy one in about a years time, but I'd be willing to wait.

James

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly, TI is pushing ALL manufacturers that intend to use the HD2 chip (2nd gen 1280x720, 12deg tilt, improved contrast/black level) to hit price points under $5000. Samsung already stated that they'll be bringing two sets (a 43" and 50", I think) in under this price.
I wouldn't use the word cheap, as it will arguably be a better product. I would refer to it as "right-sizing" the DLP price market.:)
Todd

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Nor Cal regional rep for Monster, Yamaha, NHT, etc., was at my friend's shop setting up the Dream Vision DLP projector ($5000) and scaler/video switcher ($1600) - not a bad picture (black are definitely a problem but worth the trade off in picture size if that's what you're going for). It sure is hard to drop $5k on a such a small plastic box with such an unhealthy sounding fan. Guess one just has to focus on the image all of the time.

Elbert

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'd guess DLP and/or DILA RPTVs will be down to a couple of grand in 5 years. That's about where entry level HD RPTVs are now.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
After going to the CES the past few years, I get the impression that the industry is moving away from rear projection and really focusing on trying to produce larger and cheaper flat panel technology.

Greg

Andy_S

Second Unit
I was talking to a guy who owns a high-end AV store a while back and he was telling me that there are a couple of things that are keeping the prices up:

1) High failure rate manufacturing the screens. I guess it's a pretty complicated procedure and a lot of screens fail to meet spec's.

2) There are only a couple of companies manufacturing the DLP screens (where the image is actually being displayed). Competition is scarce.

I'm not sure how accurate this info is. Sounded good to me though. Seems like the guy really knows his stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks