What's new

So I now have a player that will do SACD discs... (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
but have no discs, and only one DVD-A disc.
Do they really sound that much better?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Like anything, it depends on how they are made. SACDs from well recorded masters (digital or analogue, PCM or DSD) tend to be very good to spectacular. Some purists say PCM masters make for subpar SACDs but I have several such discs that belie that viewpoint (IMO, of course). SA-CD.net is a great place to check out available titles and comments on them. I have been building a very nice classical library in SACD and will be doing so for some time (there are more titles I want than I can afford for the next few years, at least). If classical and/or jazz are not your thing, though, you may find the format fairly limited in choices. However, I can say that I've come to appreciate classical music a lot since I bought an SACD player (I now subscribe to the symphony) and I might not have become such a fan without my player. SA-CD.net and Kal Rubinson's column over at Stereophile (Music in the Round) are two excellent places to get some ideas about what to try in SACD (Kal Rubinson's column is almost all about classical music, though, so it may not be as useful to you).

In the end, you should let your ears decide, but I've been won over by the superior sound quality.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Go to yourmusic.com and type in sacd and search under album titles
They are all $5.99 so you can judge yourself without spending much.
My hearing isn't good enough to judge the 2 channel; the 5.1 mixes are great(usually)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks