What's new

So, how is Die Another Day shaping up for you? (1 Viewer)

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I grew up loving Roger Moore as James Bond. My first Bond movie I ever saw was Live and Let Die. Yaphet Kotto's over the top villian was memorable. Another vote for the great Richard Kiel as Jaws. He was truly frightening. I also liked Man with the Golden Gun, Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker(yes, it was corny), and A View To A Kill. I did not care for Octopussy or For Your Eyes Only. Roger Moore played Bond perfectly for him. He never could play Bond like Connery and he knew it. I eventually saw all of Connery's Bond movies and I agree he IS James Bond. Timothy Dalton is the best actor to play Bond but he just was not James Bond. He played him way to serious with 0 humor. Brosnian is a good Bond. He is serious but he shows a light side when a scene requires it. I am looking forward to the new Bond movie. I think it will be the best effort of the Brosnian era. I hope the theme song will be well done. There hasn't been a good one in quite awhile. I did not like Sheryl Crowe's theme song and I thought Tina Turners effort on Goldeneye was dreadful. Bond movies haven't been an event in a long time. I think the new movie will change that.

Rollo Lee

Agent
The trailer really makes it look like a modern huge budget version of a Roger Moore Bond. Pure cheese, garish colours, and over-the-top action (eg, all of those neon "Lasers"). I'm looking forward to it.

By the way..

Honestly, I don't think that it takes much skill to direct an action scene as long as there is a sizable budget. I guess producers like hiring action directors because they can get something done within budget...Ang lee is a good example
First, Ang Lee?? He's not an action director.

Second, have you considered that they hire skilled/seasoned talent *to begin with*? That's why almost all big budget action flicks have at least a baseline level of competence even when the director seems new. They are surrounded by 2nd unit, choreographers and editors that really know their stuff. It's a machine, but that doesn't make it "easy".

However, even then, if you're an action fanatic, I think it's quite clear when you've got a talented action director at the helm and when you've just got a disinterested craftsman. Heck, just compare Goldeneye to Tomorrow Never Dies. Goldeneye shows real flair, style, and energy in its direction. TND is okay and the concepts of some of the setpieces are irresistable, but the execution merely sits there. Gets the point across, but you can't help but feel it should be a lot better given what they're working with.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
"die another day" by madonna sounds horrible...ugh, i just might bring earplugs to the theater so i'll have to listen to that song as little as possible...

thanks for the song, Aryn.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Or the girls; nothing against Halle Berry or Denise Richards, but the supporting cast of Bond movies used to be folks you didn't recognize from every other Hollywood movie.
Well, I could go all the way back to 1969 to Diana Rigg, who was in On Her Magisty's Secret Service, the killed WIFE of James Bond (imagine that!) after quitting The Avengers. Or even further to 1964, with Honor Blackman, also from The Avengers, in Goldfinger as Pussy Galore. And who could forget Dr. No, made in 1962 with Ursula Andress. She would become a star in her own right. Also, The Avengers is not a little known British show.
Hell, I doubt you were alive when Goldfinger came out. I'm not saying that I was either. So, I guess there is no convincing you then, huh? :frowning:

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll play that Madonna song at the END of the movie! Ouch, it hurts so bad...

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Well, that is the radio version...I hope David Arnold composes one for the titles that is more...classical.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Well, that is the radio version...I hope David Arnold composes one for the titles that is more...classical.
i doubt the radio version is any different from the original...plus, david arnold only does scores, afaik. madonna would still be singing. :)

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Actually, he composed the song "The World Is Not Enough", and "Surrender", from Tomorrow Never Dies.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
well, madonna composed "die another day"...i definitely want david arnold to rewrite that piece of major monkey doo doo.

first "swept away", now this, what's next for madonna?

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Bond has had to change with the times in order to maintain the icon status that the character has. IMO, comparing the 1960' s Connery Bond persona to modern day Brosnan-style Bond films is pointless. There have been way too many changes in action films and society in general over the past 40 years. Bond smoking for example, in the sixties, and earlier, that was always used to portray certain characters as being tough and/or sophisticated. As I recall, that last time we saw Bond smoking on screen was with Timothy Dalton in LICENCE TO KILL in 1989. That fit as part of his approach to the character in terms of bringing a harder, more edgy Bond to the screen after the 7 Roger Moore films that preceded his 2 films. Now, having changed with the times, Brosnan knocks out a bad guy and says "filthy habit" in TOMMOROW NEVER DIES. Hence, Bond in the nineties. Or Brosnan pulling his PPK on Xenia Onatopp in GOLDENEYE when she tells him that he doesn't need the gun, his response: "That depends on your defenition of safe sex". Bond in the nineties once again. Last but not least, having talented actress Judi Dench as M, inspired casting on the part of the producers. Albert R. "Cubby" Broccoli had a simple formula for making a Bond film: set your adventure in the most beautiful and exotic locale possible, and move the story along so fast that the audience doesn't have time to notice any major idiocincricies. That statement can be said about all the films in the series. (except for ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, IMO). DR. NO pushed the envelope in terms of on-screen violence and sexual situations for its time in 1962. Nothing quite like that had been done in films before. While I admit, the current Bond films aren't breaking boundries, they are still delivering the goods after 40 years. It's obvious that I'm a big Bond fan, however, unlike most Bond fans I know, or have read about, I think Sean Connery was, and still is THE best Bond ever. I was born 5 years after DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER in 1971, but it didn't matter that I grew up with Roger Moore. Sean was the first, the trailblazer, if you will, not to mention the fact that director Terence Young was mostly responsible for shaping the essence of what classic Bond pictures are all about. I have liked all the actors to portray Bond, for different reasons, except for George Lazenby, whom I can't stand for many reasons. Mainly beacuse he was too young, not trained as an actor (it showed) and the movie itself was too long and too boring for a standard 007 flick which usually runs about 2 hours or a little more, not 142 minutes. Sorry to babble, but, like I said I'm a proud Bond geek.:)

Guy Martin

Second Unit
I'm going to stick my neck out for the DAD song. I actually like it. It's a nice bit of dance music. On the other hand, I'm not sure whether it will work as a Bond theme. It's definitely quite different from any prior theme (probably the closest are Duran Duran's View to a Kill and A-Ha Living Daylights). I'm going to wait and see how it fits in with the movie, and more importantly with whatever visuals Daniel Kleinman comes up with for the titles.
- Guy

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Speaking of the theme song, I haven't heard it yet. As with previous Bond theme's, I want my first time to hear it in the theater watching it for the first time. I shall make any judgements then. Although I really enjoy all of the themes, my least favourite wold have to be LICENCE TO KILL by Gladys Knight. I just felt it was a little overlong and poorly paced. My favourite theme would be difficult to choose however.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
You know Marty, I will give you a formal invite to the CBn forums...at forums.commanderbond.net. I post as TGO there. And besides...we can always use some new blood!

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
I too will stand forward and state that I really enjoy the theme song. Granted, I'm a rather big Madonna fan to begin with...

I AM a bit disappointed in the vocoder use, though. I think she has a very pleasant voice and doesn't need that sonic trickery.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks