What's new
World Wide Stereo

Smoked Speakers.... Please help (1 Viewer)

Murraugh

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Good morning.
I purchased a Sherwood RX-4109 105 Watt Stereo Receiver and two pairs of Yamaha NS-AW150BL speakers.
I assumed that the having speakers rated at 120 Watt and a receiver rated at 105 Watt would work pretty well. Well i was running both sets of speakers and one of them started smoking. The other pair seems fine. Any idea what has gone awry?
Thanks.
D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, since this is an outdoor speaker...were these being used outside?
IF so, I bet you drove the receiver right into clipping.
But, that is only an assumption since you don't give any details.

Murraugh

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
It is an outdoor speaker. I am using it in a room that has a tendency to leak, and we wanted to have something that could handle a little moisture. That being said...It was not exposed to any moisture or weather.
I would be more than happy to give additional details, but I am not sure exactly what you would need....
What do you mean by "drove the receiver right into clipping"?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Doug. This receiver will only drive two speakers at any one time, were you driving all four at the same time? If so this could damage the receiver. Otherwise it just sounds like your speaker went bad.

Murraugh

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Ok. I have been reading up on it more. I'm afraid that i am about to learn a lesson the hard way.
The manual for the receiver says that i can run all 4 speakers at the same time if they they are speakers with am impedance of over 16Ω.
The Yamaha speaker has 6Ω impedance.
How can i tell if i have damaged my receiver?

Murraugh

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
They are connected with 14/2 Speaker wire. Nothing special. Came in a 250 foot roll from Home Depot.
I was using it at about 3/4 volume. It is in a dance studio, so it gets VERY regular use.
The source was a Sony CD Changer.

Murraugh

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Type A said:
You can check receiver damage by connecting a speaker, you know works, to each output of the receiver.
So basically if i get clean sound, the receiver is OK?
Do you have any recommendations for a ceiling speaker with an impedance of over 16Ω?
Thanks.
D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Return(if you still can) that Sherwood. It has a heinous amount of distortion.
If all you are using is a cd player, buy a used stereo receiver or integrated amp(means it doesn't have AM/FM).
Methinks the problem is you are asking for more than this Sherwood can deliver.
This is much closer to what you need. And don't let the "it has less watts" fool you...
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3390-Receiver/dp/B00198BOAM/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349115075&sr=1-7&keywords=stereo+receiver

Murraugh

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
schan1269 said:
Return(if you still can) that Sherwood. It has a heinous amount of distortion.
If all you are using is a cd player, buy a used stereo receiver or integrated amp(means it doesn't have AM/FM).
Methinks the problem is you are asking for more than this Sherwood can deliver.
This is much closer to what you need. And don't let the "it has less watts" fool you...
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-HK-3390-Receiver/dp/B00198BOAM/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349115075&sr=1-7&keywords=stereo+receiver
Can that Karmen Harden be used to run all 4 of my existing Yamaha speakers? I didn't see anything in the Manual about the impedance or power of the speakers when running 4 at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks