What's new

Smallville 5/7/02 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Episode recap/comments:

This episode is about how circumstances trap people.

The villain of the week is a schoolmate of Clark and Chloe's, named Justin who was run over by a large car/SUV half a year ago. Justin has a warped sense of justice as he's a promising artist with disabled hands as a result of the accident. After 6 months of recovery and rehab, Justin returns to school, still with disabled hands, but has developed telekinesis which allows him to move objects with his mind. He and Chloe correspond via email in the time he was in the hospital. He quickly wins over Chloe, much to Clark's dismay. Clark finally realizes that Chloe is attracted to him, and he now finds himself somewhat jealous of Justin.

(And as circumstances would have it, Lana is becoming distant/bored with Whitney, while Whitney is trying to renew their relationship by being a better boyfriend now that his father is getting better. Lana has feelings for Clark but she can't do much until she breaks it off with Whitney, and she feels that it's a good time now that his dad is better and recovering. Lana and Clark talk about missed opportunities in love.).

Given a clue on the license plate of the car that hit Justin, Chloe's DMV contact produces one viable suspect that leads him to blame Principal Kwan as the person who performed the hit-n-run on him which left him in the state he's in now. Justin confronts Principal Kwan at his home, and proceeds to run Kwan over via telekinesis with the very same car that ran over Justin 6 months ago. Later it is revealed that it was Kwan's son that was driving their family SUV when it hit Justin. The son turned himself into the authorities.

Chloe, unnerved by the news, begins preparing an edition of the school newspaper on this unfortunate event with Kwan. At Justin house in his room, Chloe does a bit of snooping, and finds that Justin has a sketchbook detailing his sense of proper justice (his doctor's hands were severed in a "freak" accident caused by Justin, and he illustrated how he killed Kwan as well in the sketchbook. This freaks out Chloe, and she makes up an excuse to get out of Justin's place. She runs to Clark's farm/barn, but he's at the Talon, she tracks him down to let him know that she know that Justin is the one who killed Kwan. Justin tracks down Chloe at the Kent's barn, rips the cell phone away from Chloe in mid-conversation with Clark, and starts throwing Chloe around like a rag doll (the violence is kind of brutal - as was Kwan's death). Clark showed up as Justin is about to kill Chloe with a powered chainsaw, Clark puts his body between the chainsaw and Chloe and chainsaw explodes as it hits Clark's chest. Clark tells Justin that he killed the wrong man, that it was Kwan's son who was responsible for hitting him. Justin is outraged, but Clark simply throws Justin against a wall and knocks him out.

The other subplot is the re-appearance of Lex's nanny who left after Lex's mother passed away almost 10 years ago. Lex's never forgave her for her sudden departure from his life. He loved her dearly so many years ago. She comes clean to Lex, telling him that his father sent her away, thinking she was just a clingy type of person only after the Luthor's money. Lex doesn't buy her story and when asked for Lex's forgiveness by her, Lex isn't willing to forgive. The kicker for the nanny is that she's developed terminal cancer and just wanted to make things right before she died. Lex finds this out from his father. Lex goes to the hospital where his nanny has been due to her illness. Lex does find the courage to forgive her, and she tells him how proud she is of the man he is today, Lex is gracious in accepting the assessment, all the while knowing that it's a mask he wears, inside, he's still not as moral he could be, and could've use her guidance in his formative years had she stayed.

After settling the Justin mess, Clark and Chloe finally acknowledge that there's something between them, so they decide to give the relationship deal a try. Just when Lana finally strikes up the courage to end her relationship with Whitney, she finds Whitney stumbling into the Talon, white as a ghost. Whitney's father passed away suddenly. Lana bites her tongue, and doesn't pursue breaking up with him right then and there. No, she is trapped by the circumstances, and decided to be the good supportive girlfriend at the funeral for Whitney. She sees Clark in the rain in the cemetary, knowing that she's closing the door on Clark for the time being (probably knowing that Clark and Chloe are now an "item", thus closing off Clark at this time from another angle. Both Clark and Lana sort of acknowledge the state of their non-relationship relationship with a knowing glance between them as the rain falls.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
And all I have to say is ABOUT FREAKING TIME! I cheered aloud when Clark took Chloe's hand. MUCH better catch than Lana; Lana plays the noble victim too much.

And sure, stuff explodes when it hits Clark, but Chloe must be made of steel herself, to take a rapidly flung iron horseshoe to the head, only to have a small cut. And only be out for about 50 seconds.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Liked the final scene in the rain (with Eva Cassidy singing Time After Time) and Chloe and Clark finally getting together, but the Villain of the Week was boring!
Much more fun watching Liz toss Tess around
on Roswell :)
//Ken

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Loved the line from Chloe (paraphrased): "Clark, Men are from Mars, but you're from some distant galaxy or something!"

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Actually I think it was more of a station wagon than an SUV. But any way...

Favorite line of the show (USAF recruiter speaking to Clark): "I see you in a uniform, flying." Heehee!

That scene when Clark takes Chloe's hand after asking her out on a date made me feel very uncomfortable. Reminded me of a time when I tried a boyfriend/girlfriend thing with one of my good friends in high school. Things got really weird. It was a very similar circumstance and brought back bad memories. Based on my experience I don't think things will turn out well for the two of them. I am interested to see if being closer to Chloe will make it harder for Clark to hide his powers though. I think she's going to find out.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't the recruiter Kwan's son?
Yup. There was a comment from Chloe to Clark about how it figured, after growing up with Principal Kwan.

Pretty decent episode; I've got to say, I was more shocked by Principal Kwan's death than what happened on "Buffy". (Come to think of it, didn't "Buffy" off its principal toward the end of its first season?) It's a perverse benefit of having a less-serialized show; when even a minor recurring character like Kwan is killed off, it ironically takes on greater significance because you can't see the master's hands on the chess pieces or the strings on the puppets (choose your metaphor). It is what it is, a senseless killing, not something the audience can abstract as being necessary for the larger-scale story.

The little foreshadowing bits are usually something I find too-too clever, but it's fun that they're throwing them in on two levels - the Superman mythos everyone in America knows ("I see you flying in a blue uniform..."), and the stuff maybe only the comic readers will get - Pete's interest in politics, for instance (in current continuity, he's President Luthor's VP).

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
And did you see the outfit on the school mascot in Justin's drawings? Yup: blue and red tights. That explains the election poster enigma last week, too.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Oh that was the school mascot? I thought I saw a flash of a red and blue suit, but couldn't make out what it was. I was hoping they'd show a better view of it. I'll have to take another look.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
on Buffy, The pricipal was killed in the middle of the first season (The Pack) and the other pricipal was killed during the finale of season 3.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Didn't Kwan end up in the hospital after that fire-starting coach blew up his car in the second or third episode?

Man, that guy should have gotten out of secondary education while he had the chance!

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Bill, so glad you felt "uncomfortable" - looks like the show accomplished its goals. It made me feel weird as well, but happy to see it.

The scene at the end in the cemetary was impressive. Great music, great use of slow-motion, knowing glances, etc. And Tom Welling really looked the part during that scene. Great show!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
While I liked the progression of the Chloe/Lana romance arc, I was so put off by the rampant disregard for the audience's intelligence that the show left a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean , really -- Justin knows the first half of the license plate of the hit and run driver and the cops can't track the guy down? Duh! Good thing Chloe knows someone at the DMV -- apparently, the cops in Smallville don't know what a DMV is. It's just so dumbass and mindless on the part of the writers that it gets me irate. This is sub-Scooby Doo.

These villians have to get better before this show can really go anywhere. It's too bad they won't be doing any arcing villain storylines (aside from Lex, of course).

Hanson

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I don't know why, but I was compltley against this s how from the start. My main reason was, 'How are they going to show the super powers and not have anyone notice/find out?' Let alone get around not having the famous costume handy.

But it's fast becoming one of my favorite shows of the season. I already watch it more than I ever did Lois and Clark. But I can't help but wonder how this show is going to end. Will we see Clark Emerging as Superman just as the closing credits show, or will we get a whole season of him as Superman before it ends?

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I mean , really -- Justin knows the first half of the license plate of the hit and run driver and the cops can't track the guy down? Duh!

He'd recently remembered, since being in the hospital, and didn't go to the cops, because he wanted to track the guy down on his own, and punish him. If you pay more attention, you'll find they're pretty good at not having gross errors like that.

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know what they mean with those "The storm is coming" ads for Smallville? Is that just the season finale on the 21st or what?

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

It seems to me that "the storm" might refer to a tornado. Smallville is set in Kansas. Kansas has seen it's share of tornadoes. It could be Clarks first attempt at saving people from a natural disaster. It also might be the first time he has to save more people than he can all at once. It could make for a very interesting episode with regards to Clark's psyche. Just my two cents.

- Dave

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Dave, I agree. And I was thinking that possibly:

Clark may learn how to fly if/when he gets swept up in a tornado.

Who knows.

Hanson, IMHO this show is going everywhere in spite of the villains. Personally, I value the relationships that are shown and developed. The villains add a necessary aspect, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's the only thing driving the show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
BTW, did I mention that I got to hear Remy Zero play "Save Me" the show's theme song at the Atlanta Midtown Music Fest last Sunday after noon? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks