What's new

Smallville 11-05 (1 Viewer)

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
This week's episode was fairly interesting, I am not quite sure what to make of it. It certainly got my conspiracy theory brain-hampsters running in thier wheels. I am very curious about the whole "how is this going to fit into the mythos" deal and am particularly intriqued by this big "8" symbol instead of the traditional "S".

It did seem like quite a leap for Lana and Chloe to buy into the "I am seeing the past" thing without too much fuss. It seems like they should be a little more freaked by that aspect of things, then again living on the hellmouth...err that is...living with meteor rocks might make the whacky seem less so.

It was very interesting seeing the whole flying thing, you think that would give Clark some ideas, I know I would try to fly after seeing that. :) I thought the whole coming of age proving ground thing was an interesting angle too. It reminded me of preditor for some reason. The whole thing is so different from the Superman mythos that I can't help but wonder if they are really changing things that much, or if it is all designed to trick clark. Trying to figure it out does add an element of excitement to things.

Speaking of mythos and all that, I think I must be missing something. If my memory is not going wonky, a few episodes back when that mobster tried to sell Clark to Luthor Sr, didn't Lana KILL someone when coming to the kents aid? I clearly remember the guy going to kill Mrs Kent and Lana doing the kung-fu thing on him sending him into a pitchfork...which impaled him to death. The scene shifted back to Clark in the truck and never really addressed the killing as near as I can tell.

I would think she would have some guilt or other emotional issues to deal with because of that, yet she seems as though nothing happened. I would also think that Mr and Mrs Kent would feel obligated to explain to her a little bit about why those men were going to kill them. It looks like they just never addressed it and haven't brought it up since. I could understand Clark not knowing about it as he wasn't there, but you would think they would wrap that up somehow. Did I miss something or is that pretty much what happened? I keep looking for them to mention it and they don't. :)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Pretty decent episode if not for the new mythos elements.
So let me get this straight:

Jor El sent Clark to Earth because he liked it there but at the end of last season he said that he was to rule the Earth?

I am confused.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Bah. This episode was horrible. The best that I can say about it is that it looks purty in HD, but then again it almost always does. Way too cutesy with the James Dean and Natalie Wood "references." Why even bother when the majority of your audience has no idea who you're doing a horrible job of imitating? And of course, my hate for Lana only deepens the longer she's in an episode. Seriously, this show should be more about Lex and Clark, since they'll be playing such a large part in each other's lives in the future. Plus Michael Rosenbaum can act circles around the box that Kristen Kreuk can't act her way out of.

It's a pity, since last week's episode (Michael McKean! MamaKent's real-life husband!) was so awesome, partly because Lana had so little face-time or lines. I hope to god that they bring Perry White back.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I liked how they juxtaposed Clark's family backstory (about Jor-el being sent to earth, and coming across Hiram Kent and that inadvertent contact being the impetus for Jor-el to send his only son to be raised by a kind man's offspring), and Lex's suspicion about not only his grandfather's lot in life, but whether or not Lionel had anything to do with killing his parents in Suicide Slum all those years ago.

Once again, we see how these 2 characters' pasts catch up to them in the present and into the future.

Oh, yeah, we also get rid of CSM (Cigarette Smoking Man) as mayor of Smallville too. :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I believe in the comics. Lex Luther's backstory (killing his parents) was a lot similar to Lionel's past.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I, too, thought that while Lex is having alot of angst over turning violent, Lana's racked up quite the body count without even a batted eyelash.

Also, I think that 50's Lana was pretty damn nice looking.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
I found it interesting how they bent the rules. Remember the rule established by the producers of "No flight, No tights"? Also, they said that Lana and Clark will not have sex. Lana and Clark can't, but that doesn't mean Joe/Jor-El and Louise can't.

The comics have established the Kryptonian alphabet. The symbol that we see on Clark's chest happens to be the Kryptonian letter s. So it appears that when Clark becomes Superman, he adopts the S from Smallville High along with the background/shield from Krypton, and integrates them together.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/comi...onian_alphabet

http://theages.superman.ws/Encyclopaedia/kryptonian.php

http://superman.ws/fos/kryptonian/al...r/Khistory.php

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I didn't expect much from this weeks show. I figured it wouldn't be another dream episode. But, couldn't see how the sixties would fit in?! But, I really liked this weeks show. I think it was the best show this year so far.

I liked that Clark saw his real father and he is just like Clark. It has to change Clarks feeling of being the master of this planet issues. His real father didn't come to control. Clarks first step to being able to fly was shown to him by his real father. I thought that was pretty cool.

As far as Lana working out fellings for killing someone. I take that as a comic book story line. One comic doesn't alway follow the last comics story and outcome. They usually bring it up in a later issue if it fits the current storyline. You can't takes these things too seriously. It's just entertainment folks!

I did like that they show the Kent family as the family of choice. That should help the "random accident" feelings the Kents have as to how Clark came to them. It's like the adopted family being hand picked by the parents. That has to make things better in the Kent household.

This weeks show had holes in the story as they all do. But, I bought it anyway. And really liked it.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I've got to agree with Darrel. It's easily one of my favorite episodes. I like what they did with the Superman mythos. I don't see how it changed anything. It just kind of filled in some gaps. I like how the Kents were chosen to take care of Kal-El. Jor-El knew that, not only was Smallville and the Kents a safe place to send his son, but that he'd get a good upbringing there.

If anything, it helps Clark know that him being there is no accident and it probably strengthens his relationships to the Kents and to Jor-El.

Oh, and I chuckled at the "It's not like you just fell out of the sky" line. :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Due to the no flights, no tights rule, I was shocked out of my chair when Jor-El and Louise floated up into the air under the moon. Very well handled, and very seamless matte job. Very Superman: The Movie like.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, Clark, Jor-El are not in tights! Therefore, it's okay for them to float around in normal clothes. :D

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Personally I don't care if they ditch the "no flight, no tights rule". I'd love to see this thing continue on into Superman. I think Welling and Rosenbaum would be great in it, at that point in the story, (just as they are now). Maybe change the name at that point to METROPOLIS, in keeping with the current series.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Wasn't the whole Jor-El chooses the Kents one of the contentious story points of the current Superman script by JJ Abrams? It's a nice thought and all, but that doesn't explain how when Krypton explodes Smallville just happens to line up nicely with the debris for it to have a meteor shower.

Aside from that, this was a fine episode, although it seemed like a bone thrown to the Clark/Lana fanbase (my wife included) by having them sleep together. I'm still far more interested in the Lex storyline which continues to move along in fine form.

Did anyone else read that DC comics is going to introduce Chloe into the comic books next year? That should shake up the whole continuity debate many of the purists lob against the show.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I was somewhat pleasantly surprised by the quality of this week's episode. However, one complaint would be it must've been disturbing for Clark to watch his father make out or do more with someone who was essentially Lana. The whole family tree would've gotten pretty complicated.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
OK - so Jor El and Lana's aunt slept together...(right?)

Couldn't this make Clark and Lana relatives?

(I know it's a far stretch - but isn't it possible?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
OK - so Jor El and Lana's aunt slept together...(right?) Couldn't this make Clark and Lana relatives? I know it's a far stretch - but isn't it possible?
I doubt it since Lana's aunt was murdered shortly after they slept together. A good episode though. I am glad i gave this series a chance. What a great show.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't the whole Jor-El chooses the Kents one of the contentious story points of the current Superman script by JJ Abrams?
Not really. The big ones were Luthor being Kryptonian and Krypton not blowign up. More specifically, the story abotu Superman being the rightful ruler of Krypton.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks