What's new

Smallville 1-21-03 Spoilers Ahoy! (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Spoilers ahoy..

Any version of the comics where the Kent parents are divorced? With the way Clarks 'father' is acting , you almsot want him out of the picture, or Clark to punch some sense into him :)...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great, great episode. I think this was the storm before the bigger storm. Everything's falling into place. Lionel knows to much, so of course he's going to kick the proverbal bucket in a coming episode, or suffer further head trauma or some such thing. Regardless, Lionel and Lex will split that's for sure. And with Martha hiding the octogon thingy in the flour; that's going to play a big role in February sweeps, I'm thinking. Once again, a great contrast at the end with the joyful reunion of the Kents at the end and the bitter breakup between Lionel and Lex in the same shot. That's great stuff. This show's back on track, I see great things coming...

P.S. And nary a freak of the week in sight!

Joel C

Screenwriter
Well, that was a really great show. I like the "arc" episodes of this show quite a bit.

I do miss the UST between Clark and Lex, though.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
AFAIK, the Kents have not been divorced in any version of Superman. I don't think that's what they're headed for here.

Jonathan despite all his arguing for absolutes has always fallen back on pragmatism when push came to shove and this is no different.

Lex crossed a line a little at a time and not really on purpose. He's hardly gone to the dark side as the previews would have us believe, but he's taken some steps.

Lex is increasingly suspicious of Clark. He knows Clark managed to get in somehow and also he knows Clark got to Metropolis ahead of time. What isn't clear is how much Lionel knows about Clark and when he started knowing it.

ALso, no Chloe or Pete this week. No Lionel last week. How are contracts done on this show? Normally, people in the opening credits are in a pay-or-play sort of deal.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Agreed on Lionel. I wonder if he somehow figured it out already. Why else would he have bars of 'green gold' locked in a vault?

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Yes, I think Lionel knows. The way he stuck up for Clark when Lex questioned him led me to think that he knows but doesn't want Lex (his enemy) to know anything.

I loved the show, but I did have 2 problems with it.

1. Lex saw that Clark got to Metropolis before them but he didn't say anything. So either (a) he didn't really notice, (b) he's just stopped asking and is now just taking notes, or (c) it was an overlooked plot hole. I'm hoping it's (b).

2. What happened to "able to leap tall buildings in a single bound"? Wasn't that one of Superboy's abilities? Or has Clark not stumbled upon how to do that yet?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This was a good tension filled episode of Smallville. I find it very entertaining the way they handle all the principals involves and create the tension and doubt along the way. This is good plot-driven TV with a splash of character development tossed in for good measure.

I can't remember Clark having a fear of height being mentioned in earlier episodes, but by introducing it, and then having Clark have to face it or lose his mother, it was good character building moment. Plus the grin on his face once he rolls and lands in the Luthercorp building reminded me of when Peter Parker realized he had his amazing powers in Spider-Man.

There's a good possibility that Lionel has part of his sight back, but hasn't told anymore, and that could mean he saw Clark use his super powers earlier this season (and that would explain the whole hoarding of the meteor rocks and the file on Clark. Too bad Martha didn't get a good look at that file.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
One of the discussions going around a Smallville forum site is that Lionel is not really blind.
And in a nod to the comics/cartoon. The woman cop that caught Clark was named Lt.Sawyer. Sawyer in the comics/cartoon is in the future head of Metropolis:SCU. Which is the police unit that goes after superpowered villians.

Gary_E

Second Unit
Great episode! Great show! Great HD!
The DAILY PLANET building looked awesome.

-Gary

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Pretty darn good. Who'd have thought that Jeph Loeb would be repsonsible for both the best (this) and worst ("Red") episodes of the year so far?

He's a comics writer (currently writing "Batman", "Spider-Man: Blue" and the forthcoming "Superman & Batman") and he knows his stuff. I giggled when Maggie Sawyer showed up; I liked Clark finally leaping (between) tall buildings in a single bound, Lionel Luthor hoarding Kryptonite and Lex, depsite generally being decent, doing stuff that reminds you he's Lex Luthor, dammit!

My only complaint was with the last few scenes. Why just have Clark incinerate the files before reading them? And I'm far from comfortable with the Kents being sneaky. These characters are icons, and John & Martha plotting and hiding things from each other doesn't feel right.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
There's a good possibility that Lionel has part of his sight back, but hasn't told anymore, and that could mean he saw Clark use his super powers earlier this season
Didn't Martha also yell out Clark's name at the helicopter? There's certainly enough for him to be suspicious of Clark, but I'm not sure what would cause him to hoard Kryptonite.

That's also a lot of it. It might be something he's been accumulating for a while.

//Ken

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But not the good hilarious. As suited for the Man Of Steel as Tom Welling seems to be, he really looks bad when he has to act out-of-character, whether in "Red" or last week, when a shapeshifter was impersonating Clark. He just doesn't seem to have the range necessary to pull it off.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Pretty darn good. Who'd have thought that Jeph Loeb would be repsonsible for both the best (this) and worst ("Red") episodes of the year so far?
I agree. I didn't have high hopes for this one, find "Red" to be fairly mediocre. But Loeb pulled this one off in spades, one of if not the favorite episode for me.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Lionel isn't necessarily hoarding the meteor rocks to use against Clark. As we've seen, they have many other interesting effects.

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
And the file on him could've been related to his adoption placement with the Kents, which was handled by Lionel.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
First episode I've watched since the pilot and I thought it was awesome :emoji_thumbsup: . I'm a huge Loeb fan and I hope to see more great episodes from him.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
And the file on him could've been related to his adoption placement with the Kents, which was handled by Lionel.
Except that the rest of the stuff in the vault seemed to indicate that its contents were devoted to the bizarre happenings in Smallville. Certainly Clark's adoption falls into that category, since he's a kid who suddenly showed up around the time of the meteors. It could be that Clark's just another piece of the puzzle that Lionel just hasn't assembled yet.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Great episode overall, though as others have pointed out the lack of an explanation to Lex as to how Clark got to Metropolis seemed like a bit of a minor plot hold. I also have to wonder where they're going with the "Lana's long lost father" plot thread, it seems a little too self-contained so far to really fit in with the rest of the show. I guess time will tell...

The only thing that I didn't really like about this episode was Martha hiding the octagonal disc at the end, that just doesn't seem to make sense

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks