Small/Cheap Sub with Dayton III's

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BenSC, Sep 23, 2003.

1. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

So I'm almost done with my Dayton III's, and after auditioning them, they definatly put out a lot more bass than my previous setup, but I'd like to compliment them with a small sub.

I currently have a Sony SA-W303 powered subwoofer rated at "35 watts." I have no idea if thats RMS or max. Anyway, I'm thinking of ripping that sub apart and mating its amp with a Dayton 8" woofer: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=7770&DID=7

Should be able to get a -3db point of about 30htz using a vented enclosure. Does anyone think there would be any issues I'd have using the Sony amp?

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

The amp no doubt was purpose built for the Sony driver, and has EQ specific to that driver.

3. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

It's got crossover/phase adjustments on it, so EQ shouldn't be an issue.

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Nope sorry but those won't have any effect on built-in EQ that's specifically designed for the Sony woofer.

Your options are to buy a new woofer from Sony (not a good investment IMO). Or save your money and scratch build a new sub with something like a 12" driver and the low buck Parts Express plate amp

5. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Yea, I've been considering just selling the system and building a small sub. I don't want another monster like the 12" DVC I built for the movie room, just something small and compact (living room) which is why the 8" woofer seems like a good idea. I don't need room shaking bass, just acurate reproduction.

I wasn't aware that amp's had built in EQ's like that.