What's new

Help with Onkyo SR608 receiver (1 Viewer)

serial8

Auditioning
Real Name
keith
Hi everyone… I hope I'm not posting something that's been gone through a hundred times. I have an Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver and am having someone difficulty setting it up to get he best sound from it. I pretty much just watch music DVD's and Blu-rays, anything from Country to Heavy Metal. I've tried the Audessy setup and have had some success but not to the extent that I'm after. I think part of my problem is my sub, it's a muddy sounding sub. I'm after more punch than muffled bass. Here is what I have: Onkyo 608 Sony Blu-ray Player (BDP-S360 me thinks) Infinity P252 - 2-Way Dual 5-1/4" Floorstanding rears * Frequency Response (3dB): 49Hz - 20kHz * Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 10 - 150 Watts * Crossover Frequency(ies): 2,500Hz; 24dB/octave * Dimensions (HWD): 35-3/4 X 7-3/8 X 11-3/4 In. Infinity PC250 2 Way 5.25 Center Ch Spk # frequency Response (3dB): 80Hz - 20kHz # Recommended Power Amplifier Range: 10 - 150 Watts # Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 90dB # Crossover Frequency(ies): 3,000Hz; 24dB/octave Infinity PS210 Powered Sub 10" Frequency Response (±3dB)27 - 150Hz Internal Subwoofer Amplifier Power300 Watts RMS 500 Watts Peak Crossover Frequency50Hz - 150Hz; 24dB/Octave Continuously Variable Low-Frequency Driver10" (250mm) MMD® Dimensions (H x W x D)15-3/4" x 12-1/2" x 16-1/2" 400mm x 318mm x 419mm) Weight38.6 lb (17.6kg) FinishBlack Wood Grain Enclosure Polk RTI8 2 way mains Overall Frequency Response 30Hz-27kHz Lower -3dB Limit 40Hz Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz Nominal Impedance 8 ohms Recommended Amplifier Power 20-250 w/channel Efficiency 90 dB Crossover 2.2kHz, 12dB/Oct Low Pass, 18dB/Octave High Pass Inputs Dual (bi-amp) gold plated 5-way binding posts So I guess being a noob who's be reading a crap load of info on the net I am more confused now than I've ever been. Seems the good information is relayed in a way that a noob can't decipher because it's not talking in my receivers language (as in terminology). I've had the amp for a year now. I like a nice clean, punchy sound… not muffled… I find the Polk mains to give a nice punch (compared to anything else that I have) so I feel that I should be sending "full band" to those but from what I read on the net I shouldn't be (???). The sub is another story… I can't set the crossover on the amp (or can I)… but I set the crossover on the sub at about 120hz, is that correct? I have the volume on the sub set at 1/2. Then there is the "LFE", not sure what that does or how it works within my amp but I tried setting that to "normal" and "LFE" with no difference. Blu-ray is connected with HDMI (audio/video) and sends everything "direct" or "not downmixed". The amp picks up on all the DTS, DTS-HD… etc… etc fine. I realize my speakers are not high end but they should be good enough for a small room (12x14')… and a cranky wife. Can anyone with 608 experience helpt, I'm lost at this point. Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think the vesion of Audyssey that's in the 608 (2EQ) equilizes the sub. Audyssey often times sets the speakers to Full Range. You need to go into the receivers Speaker setup menu and set the crossover on the front speakers to at least 100. Even try 120 and see what happens. Right now, by setting them to Full Range, the subwoofer isn't getting all the bass it needs. If you haven't already done so you should also set the center and surrounds to at least 100, or 120. You could set the fronts and surrounds to 80 but I'd keep the center to no lower than 100. Polk RTi's are pretty nice speakers (I owned them myself several years ago) but they are not known for their bass output. They also have a much different type of sound than the center and surround speakers you have, fairly bright-almost harsh-compared to the Infiniy's soft and warm sound. The front and center speaker should be from the same brand and series for uniformity of sound. Not as critical for the surrounds. Infinity makes fine speakers, but like most comsumer level speaker manufacturers, their subwoofer aren't quite as good. Internet direct companies like SVS and HSU, among a few others, are much better at designing subwoofers, and their prices aren't that much more. Set the Phase switch on the back of the sub to "0", the LFE/Normal switch to "LFE" and the volume knob as you have to about the center. Don't worry about the Crossover knob as it will have no effect with the LFE/Normal switch set to LFE. Hope this helps. Almost forgot. Subwoofer placement probably has a bigger effect on the over-all sound and output than the switches and knobs on the back. Try different locations, if you can, and see what happens.

serial8

Auditioning
Real Name
keith
Thanks Gene I had the infinities P252's on the front and a pair of P152's in the rear but purchased a pair of Polk RTI8's for $100, they are in mint condition so I figured they would be an upgrade on the P252's for cheap but I am beginning to wonder. As of right now I don't consider the polks an upgrade other than looks... maybe I should get the centre that matches the polks. The LFE level was hiding on me, on the speaker setup screen it only showed Sub(yes/no), front and surrounds... I didn't notice the arrow at the bottom of the screen which reveals more including LFE. My sub is in a corner, I moved it out about 2' from each wall to see if that helped but not really. Also bluray works fine, sends everything direct and the amp picks up dts, dts-hd, dd etc. Full band on the front still seems like it might be my best option as the Polks add punch that the sub simply doesn't offer. The setup now is: Fronts: 40hz Surrounds: 90hz LFE: 80hz Although audessy set the sub at 120hz but I put it back to 80

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
LFE on the receiver is the highest frequency the reciver will send to the sub. In theory, it should be set to 120. Also in Theory, the RTi's should be a bit better than the Primus series. RTi's competed with Infinity's Beta series. If you do decide to keep the RTi8's up front then I would look for a CSi3 or CSi5 center. $100 for the RTi8's was a great deal. I'd would have tried to re-sell them for $250-$300 and bought a better sub :D .

serial8

Auditioning
Real Name
keith
What would you recommend for a sub Gene? Also isn't the centre channel very important to improving sound (this is for concert DVD's Blurays)?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Suboofers aren't really my area of expertise (as if anything really is :blush: ) but Elemental Designs (edesigndaudio.com) and Lava.com are often recommended around here. They start at about $275. SVS and HSU are the two big guns in subwoofers. They start at $350-$45- and go way up from there. The BIC F-12 and V1220 are the better known subs for around $200 but their specs are very close to the Infinity you already have. If it turns out to also be a placement or setup issue then those two would probably not be much of an up-grade. There are also equilizer devices and programs which can help eq a sub but we're getting way out of my knowledge base. I was just thinking that if you sold the RTi8's and Infinity sub, kept the Primus speakers (all of them) you could use the money on one of the better subs. If you're looking for better towers then you'll need to move up to RTi10's ($$$) or Beta 50's (even more $$$) if you can find a pair of either of those. But I would exhaust all placement and setup (crossover, equlizer on the fronts) options first before throwing more money at the problem. And yes, the RTi series was a very good looking speaker, especially the black ones. If you dicide to keep the RTi8's then I would look for a CSi3 center. I really liked the look and feel of my Ebony RTi's but the Cherry ones reminded me to much of formica :P .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks