What's new

Small Budget Speakers... (1 Viewer)

JeffreyG

Agent
So Phil...
What do you really think about the JBL NSPs? :)
Is there a difference btwn the JBL I and JBLII and what sub would you recommend?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
...what sub would you recommend?
The JBL NSP1 will handle the frequencies from 89 Hz to 18 kHz (Front = ±2.7 dB / Surrounds = ±3.2 dB) so I really meant any sub would work from it's lowest usable frequency to the AV Receiver x-over. My Yamaha fixed x-over = 90 Hz, and so, with the sub's that I couldn't turn off the sub-woofer's x-over ... (used JBL ARC 80w 8" / Sherwood 100w 10" / AudioSource 200w 15" / SVS 25-31PCi [SVS x-over bypassed] during it's 2 1/2 year use in my main HT) ... I just dialed the x-over to the MAX position! Worked great for music & HT applications.
I've been told by many HTF members that the Sony SA-WM40** 120w 12" worked great & was the price vs. performance leader. (**linked to Chuckster's Articles $850 HOME THEATER SYSTEM)
Phil

Norman B

Auditioning
KLH 10" sub @ Costco For $100.00 (-$20.00 rebate= $80.00 Thru 10-31-2002) if anyone is interested. I bought 1 to put with my soon to be rec'd NSP-1. Haven't got it hooked up yet. Got my fingers crossed....

Maneesh

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jeffrey,
I haven't been visiting HTF regularly so I only saw this post today. I started out in pretty much the same boat as you - very limited budget. After evaluating all the options I bought a Kenwood HTB-504 for around $400. I was extremely satisifed with it for 6 moths. Then I got the chance to upgrade my speakers when a fantastic deal on Michaura speakers came up on Ubid (sadly, these little wonders are no longer available).
If you know that you will be upgrading the speakers in the near future, then its ok to get cheaper ones now. Esp if you get them as part of an HTiB which will subsidize the cost of the receiver and DVD player. For me this was the only option as I just didn't have the money to get everything, yet I didn't want to go 6+ months with only 2 speakers. And its not that HTiB speakers will sound bad (as long as you get a good one).
As for the HTD Level 1's, I believe HTD offers a 30 day refund policy and they even pay return shipping. So you really have nothing to lose by ordering and evaluating them in your own home. $149 is a very reasonable amount for speakers which you can always gift or reuse. Since you seem to be getting a decent receiver, its a safe bet to say you'll upgrade components anyway.
Hope some of that made sense :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks