What's new

slight green hue on my Panny (1 Viewer)

Paul Z

Grip
Greetings,
I just recieved last week, my second Panasonic 53wx53. My first had some color streaking that you guys did your best to help me with, but in the end, Panasonic decided to take it back and give me a refund. Because, overall, I liked the look and the price of the t.v. so much, I figured I just got a lemon so I decided to buy the same one again and for the first week, it was perfect. Yesterday, however, I noticed the color kind of fading in and out for a few minutes and after it was all said and done, I have a slight greenish hue noticable mainly in very dark areas of the screen, or, on a blank channel that should be black, has a green tint to it, other than that, the colors still seem to be perfect, especially in h.d. I changed the cables and checked the convergence and that doesn't seem to be an issue. Does this sound like a serious problem that I should return the set before the 30 days are up or am I just paranoid because of my prior problems ? I've heard of the Panasonic "evil pop" but I imagined that much worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks, Paul

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a calibration DVD, like the new Digital Video Essentials or Avia Guide to Home Theater? Once you adjust the set according to their recommendations, it would be easier to determine if the set is faulty or if only a simple adjustment is required.

Could be that the brightness or contrast of the set is set too high, exposing the green bias caused by a bad gray scale calibration. However, you really need one of the above discs to be sure.

Digital Video Essentials should be available at any good DVD retail store, for not much more than $20 US.

Also, what DVD player are you using? Any chance that the DVD player may be at fault? Is the problem you see on all sources, including TV tuner, xbox/ps2/gamecube s-video, etc.?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

This might just be the pop ... a break in issue. Fix it with the bcut/rcut parameters and be done with it ... until the red goes pop or the blue ...

Regards

Paul Z

Grip
To answer the first question, yes, it is on every source and all was perfection until I turned it on yesterday but thanks for the idea of the avia disc, I will pick one up.
Michael, You make it sound like it's no big deal, which gives me hope. Can you explain what you mean by adjusting the rcut/bcut or tell me where I can find this info ?
Thanks guys,
Paul

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My Panny 53wx52 popped blue back in October and tonight popped green.

I fixed the blue by adjusting the blue screen pot inside the set. I'll be doing the same for the green tonight.

Paul, before I got brave enough to open up the TV and adjust the screen pots I tried the cuts/drvs that Michael is speaking of. Both methods yeilded the same great results.

Paul Z

Grip
Thanks Bryan,
Are the cuts/drvs just a remote control adjustment in the service menu ? I'm kinda lost. And is it a good idea to mess with the pots while still under the 30 day limit ? Thanks for the info
Paul

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The cuts/drvs are in the service menu and are adjusted with the remote once you access it.

The pots are physical knobs inside the front panel that you can adjust.

If you are still under the 30 day limit, it may be easier to just have the set swapped out. But chances are, if you have a Panny, it's going to pop sooner or later.

Paul Z

Grip
Thanks again Bryan,
One more question if you don't mind. You say that chances are that it will pop sooner or later. Am I understanding that it won't be a repetative problem and that once it's adjusted, that particular color won't be a problem any longer ? I'm just trying to cover all my bases as I really like the t.v. and don't want to make any quick decisions on sending it back.
Paul

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don't know for sure, but from what I've read from others, once a gun pops, it won't pop again. So worst case is you'll have three pops (red, blue, gree).

Perhaps someone else who knows more will chime in.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

This is a problem that has come with the panny units for three generations now. It is an annoyance ... but all data seems to indicate that it happens a maximum of one time to each gun.

It happened to my 47" panny ... but only to the red gun. I corrected it and have not had to deal with that problem again.

Every set has some demon, this is the panasonic demon. If you can get past it, the set is a fine performer. All sets have their own issues.

The cuts and drivers are in the service menu. The panny.tv site has instructions on getting into the service menu. Obviously one needs to proceed with caution in the SM.

Regards

Paul Z

Grip
thanks alot guys for all the help, I decided to just do it myself. I have faith now !!! Paul

Paul Z

Grip
Okay guys, Now I'm really confused. Does the pop ever un-pop? I was all set to do your suggestions and after being green for the entire day yesterday, it's now back to normal....but, after watching it for about an hour this morning, the color started fading back and forth to greenish hue again for about a minute and then it stopped and it's been fine now for a while. Is this a sign that it's about to pop but hasn't yet? Could it be a different problem ? So sorry to keep botherin' ya

Thanks, Paul

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
For what it's worth, when mine popped, it stayed the color that popped. It didn't fluctuate back to normal at all. There were also no signs before it popped. It just happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks