What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Washington Irving’s 1820 short story, ‘The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,’ gets a special big screen adaptation courtesy of Tim Burton, the kind of creative soul you’d suggest tackle the macabre story if you were asked for the perfect candidate, and Burton does not disappoint. Released in 1999, the large-budgeted production is positively soaked in moody atmosphere, eerie ambiance, and spooky sumptuousness. Paramount brings this fan favorite film to Untra High Definition 4K disc for the first time (having been previously available on 4K digital) in a presentation finally worthy of the film.

Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Released: 19 Nov 1999
Rated: R
Runtime: 105 min

Director: Tim Burton
Genre: Fantasy, Horror, Mystery

Cast: Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci, Miranda Richardson
Writer(s): Washington Irving, Kevin Yagher, Andrew Kevin Walker...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Another Oscar nominated work by DP Emmanuel Lubezki finally arrives on a 4K/UHD disc. Great news from Paramount and another excellent review by Neil Middlemiss.

Hopefully, Warner Bros. will follow suit by giving their considerations towards a 4K/UHD release of Mr. Lubezki’s first Oscar nominated work of A Little Princess (1995).

Until then…Tim Burton’s 4K/UHD release of Sleepy Hollow gets my bucks and backing. Order placed.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

yamato72

Agent
Real Name
Marc Fenneuff
Thanks for the review. I planned to pickup the UHD this season but ended up watching me BD copy a couple days ago. Was shocked to see that DD was the best audio option on the BD. Will pick this up for next year's annual horror movie marathon.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I bought the Sleepy Hollow UHD steel book on release day but haven’t been able to watch it yet. Hopefully I’ll get to do so before Halloween.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I planned to pickup the UHD this season but ended up watching me BD copy a couple days ago. Was shocked to see that DD was the best audio option on the BD.

Sleepy Hollow was one of Paramount's early launch titles on the Blu-ray format. At that time, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA weren't yet available. Sony put uncompressed PCM on their discs, but took a lot of heat for that decision due to the amount of disc space it took up. Paramount and Warner Bros. stuck with the lossy Dolby and DTS formats.

yamato72

Agent
Real Name
Marc Fenneuff
Sleepy Hollow was one of Paramount's early launch titles on the Blu-ray format. At that time, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA weren't yet available. Sony put uncompressed PCM on their discs, but took a lot of heat for that decision due to the amount of disc space it took up. Paramount and Warner Bros. stuck with the lossy Dolby and DTS formats.
To this day I still go into the audio setup of every blu-ray to choose the format before starting the movie. There's occasionally one with lossless audio which defaults to DD. Interesting tidbit about PCM. I have several of those titles.

I was glad to upgrade my copy of M:I3 to UHD this year and finally ditch that DD track.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To this day I still go into the audio setup of every blu-ray to choose the format before starting the movie. There's occasionally one with lossless audio which defaults to DD. Interesting tidbit about PCM. I have several of those titles.

I was glad to upgrade my copy of M:I3 to UHD this year and finally ditch that DD track.
I do the same thing.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
To this day I still go into the audio setup of every blu-ray to choose the format before starting the movie. There's occasionally one with lossless audio which defaults to DD.

Yeah, me too. I ran into a major annoyance recently when I did a Ninja Turtles marathon with my kids. The Blu-ray for the 2007 TMNT animated movie not only defaults to a lossy DD5.1 track, the disc is authored to auto-play the movie with no main menu. The only way to switch to the lossless TrueHD track is to bring up the pop-up menu after the movie has started playing.

Interesting tidbit about PCM. I have several of those titles.

The issue with PCM was compounded by the fact that all Blu-rays in those early days were single-layer BD25 discs. That PCM ate up a lot of disc space and didn't leave much room for the video, especially on longer movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks